Smith Mountain Lake - Underwater town - Fact or Fiction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I was a hard hat diver, I'd be all over this, but to be honest, it doesn't sound very safe or worthwhile. Standing timber would be bad stuff, mixed with current and low vis..... The S-Curves are a very busy place. Most of the accidents I heard about growing up were in that area. Sadly, most of the body recoveries I remember were in the Hales Ford area. One case of a guy hit by lightnening, his recovery took a very long time, the divers had a hard time doing anything near the bridge. I don't know if they were on scuba or if they were hard hat divers. I just remember the search lasting a very long time. We knew his wife and family, it was tough to see the divers go in and out every day, empty handed. It's hard diving there.

Gee, I just found this: http://www.roanoke.com/news/breaking/wb/111790 another accident in the S-Curves. I was looking for the case at Hales Ford Bridge. That's a busy spot.

Turns out a friend of those folks above donated this.....very interesting video...she confirms that there are submerged houses.
New technology patrols bottom of Smith Mountain Lake | WSLS 10

Guys....I'd love to see what you come up with, but more than that I'd love to see you come back up. If you do this, please do it safely.

Al

Here are a couple more articles. The first one similar to the last about the S-Curve Accident, it says there are barns and houses underwater: Not really worth reading...it doesn't say they are under the area in the S-Curves where this happened.
The Daily News Record: Top News

This Jeanette lady could probably tell you exactly where it is: http://www.lakeretreat.com/newsletter/newsletter,7,2.pdf

I remember seeing old roads going straight into the water, and I think I know where the R2 marker is that she's talking about. However, she's talking about feeding cows and fishing in the river, not going to school/church/home, so hopefully the buildings aren't really in 200ft of water. If the vis was better, you could follow old roads, but I don't think you'd see buildings from the road down there now.

Al

Given the account of the alpha drive and marker R2, here is an image that includes the marker (it was in my software) as well as the alpha drive. I've left middle island and the dam in the image so you can have reference to where she is discussing. The R2 marker lies somwhere between 15 and 30 feet of depth. The road continues down to the bottom of the river valley...depth of 175 feet

2678208297_704202be20_o.jpg

As to diving the lake/river - I was just curious in underwater towns/cities. I don't know if I would dive it. I don't like diving with large numbers of boats, underwater log jams, fishing line, etc. Just interested in the history...and possibilities. There is a book out there that actually includes accounts of many underwater towns in man made bodies of water - some may be better to dive than others I assume. Just a local interest.

We would definately have to do some sort of risk assesment before we do this. Just interested in checking out the possibilities...

Think I'm going to pursue some entanglement training before attempting this. I expect it to be pretty bad between the fishing line, hooks and trees...

I'm at the lake now and am interested in a non-weekend dive this week (July 20-25). I doubt my skills are up to battling trees and fishing line in search of the underwater town, but I am interested in finding a less-trafficked area to do a dive.

I understand there is an area (with a couple of underwater boats at around 30 feet) which is used for training by the local rescue crew - that's probably more my speed.

Send me a PM if you're interested in a less exotic dive in the area.

Think I'm going to pursue some entanglement training before attempting this. I expect it to be pretty bad between the fishing line, hooks and trees...

cuttermetalicob.jpg

Single greatest piece of dive equipment I've ever bought. Much more compact and safer than a knife, as well as very easy to operate one handed. A MUST for entanglement dives, or really any dives as a "just in case." Make sure you get one that has the interchangeable blades. They take the same type of blades as the knife below, which is great because you can find the things anywhere.

820909606550.jpg

That sounds like a plan! Think I'll get one! Thanks!!

I have been watching this thread with some interest, there are a few underwater towns within driving distance of me. There are also a few abandoned quarries. I will give you the typical things we do when exploring them.
Gear- drysuit, because it will be cold down there. Lights- at least 2, sometimes 3. A big explorer reel. 2 computers. Doubles. At least one stage bottle. Oh, and air, not Nitrox. Multiple cutting devices- shears (compound for cutting steel), Z knife, and usually a regular knife. Liftbags, 2, I rig one on a Jersey upline. Backup mask. IANTD deco tables.
Now that it sounds like the typical tech diver setup, here is why. Once you leave the ambient light zone-due to silt, etc, and hit that lovely BLACK water (usually around 80ft), you have absolutely no way of being sure you didn't swim inside something. At least 2 of the closest quarries to me have caves and tunnels. And one of the tunnels begins at 50 ft. So, when we start clearing the bright, and into the night, we tie off a reel, so we can follow it to a point we know is free of overhangs.
Okay, now the other why's...air-that way you can go to any depth without an oxtox worry, or at least up to 220, though I doubt you'd remember any of the dive at that point. Doubles, both for the consumption rate at depth, and the redundancy. And, deco-even if the dive is only to 100ft, you are on air, 20 minutes NDL. Get stuck on some line, wire, tree, equipment, etc....your first stop is for 9 minutes on your Back Gas. Or, 6 on 75% or higher.
Now, all of the above info can be taken as you like. I am only explaining how we do it, having dropped in a few places around the area. And before you start in on our being Kool-Aid drinkers, we most definitely are not. Just, we have had things go very wrong on this type of dive, so why screw around. And again, these are only the things we do, have fun, dive as you like.
I'll be interested to see a report when someone plops in...
-J

Has anyone taken the plunge yet and checked this place out? My parents live in Lynchburg and I visit them fairly frequently...I would be game for an exploratory dive if anyone else is interested???

Back
Top Bottom