Smooth as silk. Diving the FS Loop and White Point outfall pipe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Kevin Lee joined us for a couple of dives in silty water today. Anyone who has dived the FS Loop will tell you that any visibility above three feet is a miracle. The wreck is scattered over a silty bottom off the Los Angeles Breakwater. Before jumping in, I told Kevin and Merry to look for Tritonia festiva and Doriopsilla spaldingi nudibranchs as I would be hoping to shoot wide angle. We reached the anchor to find fifteen feet of vis, the best I've ever had here. The wreck was covered with hundreds of Tritonia festiva and Doriopsilla spaldingi. I looked like a prophet. I zoomed my lens to 35mm and got as close as I could with an eight inch dome port and managed a few decent close up shots. I'm sure Kevin and Merry's will blow mine out of the water.

FSLoop1.jpg

FSLoop2.jpg

FSLoop8.jpg

FSLoop10.jpg

FSLoop11.jpg

FSLoop14.jpg

FSLoop16.jpg

FSLoop3.jpg

FSLoop9.jpg

FSLoop6.jpg

We headed to White Point next to dive the large outfall pipe. The pipe rises ten feet off the bottom and is mostly covered with quarry rock. Blue ring topsnails were everywhere. I even found one with its shell deteriorating. Visibility on the pipe was ten feet, which is average for White Point.

WhitePointPipe17.jpg

WhitePointPipe13.jpg

WhitePointPipe6.jpg

WhitePointPipe5.jpg

WhitePointPipe4.jpg

WhitePointPipe9.jpg

WhitePointPipe1.jpg

WhitePointPipe10.jpg

WhitePointPipe14.jpg

WhitePointPipe15.jpg

WhitePointPipe12.jpg

On the way home we saw the largest pod of Common dolphin I have seen in twenty years. Many were jumping out of the water, but it was difficult to get shots from a moving boat.

Dolphins5.jpg

Dolphins3.jpg

Dolphins4.jpg

Dolphins8.jpg

Last edited:
WOW -- Amazing dolphin pictures! What fun!

Coming back from Anacapa yesterday 15 January 2012, we saw a huge pod of common dolphins too. They were on the hunt though, so they didn't race the boat and give us a show.

Great photos. The photo of the scallop looks like a muppet character. Thanks

Awesome series! Got to love the ever omnipresent Rubber lip schools on our local wrecks. Great topside captures as well.

Back
Top Bottom