"smushed" DIN valve. . . is it repairable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnN

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
To balance the weight between suitcases, I packed the valve for my pony in the same checked bag as the cylinder. Apparently it encountered some rough traffic and has been made out-of-round enough to make screwing in the valve quite difficult.

I'm pretty sure that with a wrench on the knob, I could force it in. Is it worth the risk of having a bad valve and a bunged up first stage?

no. new valve. This is arguably the main disadvantage of din valves and the reason that yoke remains prevalent in the recreational side of our industry. When you travel with DIN valves, you should have them plugged with a brass plug, or at least a yoke insert so this is less likely to occur.

I'm curious to know how that happened. I understand how one could be damaged if you whacked one with a hammer, but to have it bent while packed seems strange. Was anything else in the bad damaged?

I have been known to pack spare "cheaper" lenses in my clothing bag, and have never had an issue. Always a first time I suppose!

Thanks all. I'm surprised it is bunged up also. Thinking back, I did have the tank with valve in the trunk of the car without the 1st stage attached. That, rather than the trip home, may have done the deed.

I'll certainly be more careful going forward

no. new valve. This is arguably the main disadvantage of din valves and the reason that yoke remains prevalent in the recreational side of our industry. When you travel with DIN valves, you should have them plugged with a brass plug, or at least a yoke insert so this is less likely to occur.
This. I was thinking that you could use a DIN plug and a wrench to force it back into "round enough" shape if you are currently on the road or on a trip so you don't miss any dives, but I would replace the valve once you get home.

$40 or $50... new valve. Plus you just pushed out servicing your valve for a few years. :)

I had this happen when I moved cross country... something shifted in the Container and my valve got smashed. Didn't notice until I wanted to dive... ugh.

Not repairable.

Remember to pull off the usable parts - knob, spring, etc, and toss them into a ziplock and into your Dry Box... I've rebuilt a two valves over the years on dive trips for other divers from the parts I scavenged from my scraps. :)

- K

$40 or $50... new valve. Plus you just pushed out servicing your valve for a few years. :)

I had this happen when I moved cross country... something shifted in the Container and my valve got smashed. Didn't notice until I wanted to dive... ugh.

Not repairable.

Remember to pull off the usable parts - knob, spring, etc, and toss them into a ziplock and into your Dry Box... I've rebuilt a two valves over the years on dive trips for other divers from the parts I scavenged from my scraps. :)

- K

You're buying the wrong valves! DGX usually has these Thermos in stock
Thermo Standalone Valve, Surplus | Dive Gear Express®

They're down the road from me. Have many of these, thanks.

When they're not in stock, price goes up. :wink:

I keep one or two in the garage as a "just in case" so I can wait until they come back in stock to resupply. Cave divers are a notoriously cheap bunch...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom