SMY Ondina - Ambon to Sorong - anyone been on it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divenski

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We're looking to dive RA in DEcember, and are looking at mid-range priced boats. If you have personal knowledge of the Ondina from the last year or two, could you please advise as to the pros and cons of this trip? Thanks so much.

Thanks - I did - they're full for the time we can go.

Thanks, Don. I read the article - it sounds like an incredible trip! Beautiful pix!

We're looking to dive RA in DEcember, and are looking at mid-range priced boats. If you have personal knowledge of the Ondina from the last year or two, could you please advise as to the pros and cons of this trip? Thanks so much.

I'm at bit late posting to this as I've been on my own holiday during May (Greece).

Thanks to Don Silcock for the link to his article.. a wonderful guy indeed and excellent photographer (or is that excellent guy and wonderful photographer?)

I've been chartering SMY Ondina since 2004, several trips per year and on almost all of them myself (about 30 trips now). While it is not the most luxurious ship, it is very well laid out for serious diving and also for photography/video.

If you want luxury this is not the ship for you. But if your interests are more with the diving, it is an excellent ship with a very reasonable price.

I run a few charters each year limited to 12 guest divers and with extra guides and cruise director that I work with in Raja Ampat each trip. My price for a trip with limited participation and extras is the least expensive of any comparable ship.. and even seems a bit less than some that don't have individual AC & bath in the cabins.

You can check at www.cityseahorse.com/raja-ampat-diving/. Two pages have schedules.. one for my charter trips and another for the ship's normal scheduled trips.

It is true that SMY Ondina is full in December. I still have a few spots available Nov 10-22, 2011, a 12 day trip that is an excellent value. if you can go in 2011 it will be easier on your budget as prices will rise in 2012. I also have trips scheduled for Nov 2012.

Some of the things I like about SMY Ondina are: indoor dive deck so equipment is out of the sun and weather as are the divers while preparing for the dive and listening to the briefing; indoor hot freshwater shower and hanging for wetsuits so our suits are not out flopping around in the sun and wind; 3 public areas to sit; cabins with individual AC & bath + plenty of storage space while not large are arranged so nicely they work quite well; dive tenders boarded from either side of the ship at the same time; dive deck organized so that divers are not bumping heads or running into each other. Big camera table with 2 large freshwater camera rinse boxes right behind and storage underneath.... more but this is enough for this post.

I also book divers on Ondina's regular trips and set up charters for clubs, groups and dive shops. Since 2004 have had or sent hundreds of divers on this liveaboard and have only had a handful of people who didn't love their trip and have had many divers repeating for 2-8 times on the ship and in Raja Ampat too.

In my opinion a round trip, Sorong-Sorong, within Raja Ampat is better diving that a one-way trip. With a round trip it is possible to vary the itinerary based on conditions to get better and more diving, while on a one-way trip longer cruises and a schedule to keep prevent much change in itinerary. I can elaborate on reasons if anyone is interested. There are more than enough excellent dive sites in Raja Ampat to keep us busy 5 dives/day for 14 days or more. If you want to dive Ambon, you can easily pass through there and dive land-based. A combo liveaboard and land-based would be ideal.

If you have questions on SMY Ondina or Raja Ampat please send a PM, reply to the email address in my sig file or call. I've been diving in Raja Ampat since 1999, about 30 trips now. I organize trips in Raja Ampat because that is where I want to dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom