Snorkel tow board DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
need to make a simple tow board to be pulled behind a sailboat, for when we are with dolphins.(with and without camera).
Pictures or drawings would be great.
Thanks

You might inquire with the spearfishermen. They have more experience with paddle boards and tow boards than anybody. Possible resources would be Spearboard.com and Deeperblue.com.
Pesky

I just got this off of Craig's List. They guy I got it from put hundreds of hours on it. Originally all fiberglass but cracked. It is repaired with plywood that has been glassed over.

Attachments

• sled.jpg
    sled.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 2,185
Thanks for the photo, half made something in plywood, waiting for it to warm up before tests. Thanks

Welcome to Scuba Board.

After seeing the movie, "Sharks' Treasure" I made a nice tow board out of 3/4" plywood. About 2' wide 1' long. 45 degree cut or round off the leading edge corners. Drill two holes at the ends for the yoke shaped tow rope. Three oval slots for your hands; one each near the edges, one in the middle so you can go one handed. You might also want to attach an extra length of line with a cut off broom handle that you "sit" on to ease the pressure off your hands.

Get plenty of practice with just a mask and snorkel before moving on to scuba as the rate of ascent can catch you by surprise.

Diver_Tow_Sled.JPG

Last edited:
Here is a new one like mine. I plan to cut a new board from starboard and reuse the handles. The handles are just bent aluminum tubing.

New & Used Scuba Dive Gear - Underwater Exploration

Underwater Tow Sled
The ultimate in underwater exploration!
Snorkelers can use it on the surface
Divers can use it underwater
Multiple handles allow for use with both hands or just one.
(Motorboat not included)
$69.95

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom