snorkel, what’s it good for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FM1520

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
New-b here. I have lost two snorkels so far; one on my certification dive and then another one on a later dive. I find I never use it and it gets in the way. On my last 3 dives I have left it in my dive bag. I know I can use a better clip but the question is why do I need one. Thanks.

I find that the best use for my snorkel is to let my baby daughter chew on it while teething. I have also used it as a paper weight while doing some studying during a surface interval.

On the more serious side, if you are doing long surface swims to the dive site, or in rough sees they are handy (in my experience not essential). Its one of those items that I used for the initial course and then removed from my standard diving set up. Can't remember when last I used one. If you are comfortable without it, you can remove it.

You are off to a good start, the best use for a snorkel is taking up space in a dive bag, or snorkeling. I ditched the snorkel right after my cert dives. The last cert dive I did, I actually got the snorkel caught on something and it ripped my mask off, so after that I decided to loose it. If I am doing a long surface swim, I am either swimming face down with my reg in or I am swimming on my back.

Those guys said it all! Really just gets in the way with SCUBA :idk:

I have always had a snorkel on me (attached to my mask) while diving and I don't remember the last time I went in the water without it. I use it whenever I am on the surface or making water entries. In my school of thought and the type of diving I do, it is essential. I never thought of it as an issue or caused me a problem since I am used to it and use often.

I am a firm believer in having excellent skin diving skills before scuba skills. I also don't understand why I would waste the precious air from my tank when there is lots of free air on the surface.

Please note that there are opposing points of view in regards to this matter especially for folks who dive in Caves.

I somewhat disagree. Wreck diving in the Mid-Atlantic currents such as North Carolina, I can see the snorkel becoming very helpful if you surface down current from the boat. In the event that you miss the ascent line and end up down from the boat a snorkel swim could be the difference between returning to the boat on your own or end up drifting half a mile away as they pull up anchor to come get you and give you the dunce hat. I do agree that the snorkel is of little use on easy dives such as quarries etc.

I stoped using a snorkel right after I forgot to swap it for my reg and tried to drop under.. Let me tell you, diving is much more fun when you AREN'T drowning...
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom