Snorkeling FirstAid Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bosbik

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

Can you give me suggestions on what to bring for a snorkeling first aid kit?
I am having my first trip with my wife in a months time

thanks!!

In addition to the usual suspects, I always have about 4-oz of vinegar with me whenever I go snorkeling.

There are some standard items, but alot depends on where you're traveling. On my own vacations we two snorkel alone in isolated areas, so it's important to be well equipped despite the fact I don't want to carry much weight. I hypothetically wouldn't take as much stuff if I only went on a couple of guided snorkel tours in an area that has a good communication network and access to emergency services.

But I guess you want to know what I take.

In the water with me at all times
I take into the water with me (tucked into my pants if swimming, or attached to my weight belt if snorkeling) half a foil emergency blanket, a small CPR face shield, and a sachet of "Stingoes". They cause no inconvenience, and during a drift snorkel an emergency can happen a long way from your gear.

On the beach - my basic first aid kit: (what i can remember now)
  • Stuff for jellyfish stings. (I used to take Stingoes, but now take vinegar in a small water-tight container)
  • Backup sunburn cream. (Prevents the whole vacation being ruined.)
  • Compression bandages. (Plus I take old-fashioned bandages because I don't want to discover that elastic bandages deteriorated in the heat)
  • Large adhesive bandages.
  • Sterile gauze pads
  • A couple of antiseptic wipe sachets.
  • I keep a thermos of very warm water on the beach, for speedy warming when a long snorkel causes hypothermia (possible even in warm climates). I don't think I carry enough to treat marine venom, but it might help.
  • Appropriate communication equipment (depends on location).
  • A good quality CPR "pocket mask" with a valve. (Drowning deaths are very messy)
  • Disposable gloves (so a stranger will help stop bleeding)
  • Instructions for treating "common" problems like stonefish, sea urchin spines etc.
  • Up-to-date CPR instructions from a respected authority, with the publication source and date written on them. Purpose: memory aid; confidence booster; hopefully reduce arguments if there are no experts on the beach (each tourist has learnt different CPR rules); maybe written instructions would give a bystander the confidence to assist if necessary.
  • Notepad and a reliable pencil or pen. (Doctors/police/coroner want to know what happened when.)
  • If required: medication, buddy's asthma puffer.

Optional extras depending on where I'm snorkeling:
  • Additional bandages, triangular sling. (for massive wounds from shark or propeller) I keep these in the car permanently - would help with car accidents.
  • Blister protection like Moleskin
  • Motion-sickness tablets if any chance of boat travel.

Other notes:
  • All items are be labeled in large clear print that elderly foreign tourists can read.
  • I'm trying to make my buddy familiar with all first aid items.
  • My first aid kit doesn't need trauma shears, because they come in the water with me incase of fishing line.
  • Coz I snorkel in remote areas I've arranged to get a Personal Locator Beacon (PLB).
  • I plan to refresh my first aid skills before each vacation.
  • Don't forget - in unfamiliar or dangerous locations I also have safety gear in the water and on the beach.

Disclaimer
I'm just saying stuff. I'm sleepy and I'm not an expert. Everything I said could be wrong and not appropriate for your needs. You are responsible for yourself.

Last edited:
Oh, one other thing: The next time I go on a multi-day snorkeling vacation, I'll be bringing about a pint of pure, organic aloe vera gel. The NOW brand sells for about $5/qt on the net. I cannot vouch for any actual medicinal qualities the stuff may have but it does feel good on the skin after a long day of sunshine. And speaking of sunshine, when I was on the snorkeling boats during my last Keys trip, it seemed like almost no one was worrying themselves about the sun. To my mind, this fits into the category of "Not taking care of oneself." For my part, I wore a wide brim hat, t-shirt, put the towel over my knees, and kept the sunblock fresh. If that all sounds dorkish in the extreme, all I can say is that I sat there in the tropical sun having a long conversation with a pediatrician who had none of the above stuff, nor even sunglasses. He looked like a cooked lobster. Dork I was not.

haha..that was funny..i will be sure to remember that..i dont want to be a cooked lobster...:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom