Snorkeling for a Non-Swimmer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usually snorkeling clubs or resorts rent floatation devices but i guess that if you want one of your own id recommend a water-skiing vest or the one used on boats.
about the swimming part- i think you dont need to learn how to swim since the movement in snorkeling is basically just kicking using fins.
in my opinion knowing how to swim is important since it might come in handy in a tight situation and it makes the aquatic experience more natural, thats it.

Does "non-swimmer" mean that you CAN swim but not that well, or that you can't swim at all? If you can't swim I'd suggest taking swimming lessons first. Accidents can happen when you are not "too deep." Also are you planning on going alone? Or are other people or a qualified rescue person going to be with you? It's hard to suggest gear if there's the potential that you're going to go out and harm yourself.

Gad, what a bloody mob. Not one of you asked the OP why he is a non-swimmer or in what circumstances he would plan to go snorkeling.

If you read all of the posts at least one of us asked questions that the OP hasn't responded to. There was several things I WAS going to suggest. But without knowing the persons abilities to the fullest you can't suggest gear that may or may not work. It's like the question "How do I repair my regulator?" The common answer is "Can you give us specifics please?" Since I haven't gotten answers to my questions yet for the specifics there's no way I'm going to answer.

Yes, the OP should take swimming lessons if they do not know how to swim and they go into the ocean. The water is VERY unforgiving if you are not prepared for it. We know this and we would rather see someone not snorkel a couple times and live a long happy life rather then see a couple fish for a minute and end up 6 feet under. Can I guarentee that that will happen? No. Is the chance of it happening a lot greater when you're not prepared except for gear? Yes.

I thank ImParticipating for his story. People do things that they think are safe that don't end up that way. It's like "Darwin Awards" or "Hey guys, look at this!" type of stuff. No one ever expects things to go wrong, but they can and in some cases do, ending up with the worst case being a fatality. If I sound like I'm not helping by my lack of answering the OP's question prevents them from going out and getting into trouble or dieing, then I'm happy.

LoboMX

If you read all of the posts at least one of us asked questions that the OP hasn't responded to. There was several things I WAS going to suggest. But without knowing the persons abilities to the fullest you can't suggest gear that may or may not work.
Yes, LoboMX asked good sensible questions just 32 minutes after the OP's one and only post. Days later the OP still hasn't answered, or even filled in his profile. Until the OP tells us more we can only give generalised advice, and the best snorkeling advice for a non-swimmer is to learn to swim.

RalphinOrmond - This is a public forum and the OP isn't the only non-swimmer who'll read our words. We'll be perceived as "experts" on snorkeling, so we're trying to give responsible answers. This conversation is currently the #1 result in Google for "non-swimmer snorkeling vest" - yes, the first result out of the whole Interweb - and people will be reading our words for many years. There's a reasonable chance that several people will buy any "best" vest that we recommend, and some of those people will be buying them for their friends and family. I'm trying to avoid this scene: "Wife, stop being a silly scared idiot. The expert snorkelers on the most active snorkeling forum in the world [-]say[/-] [DON'T SAY] that it's safe for non-swimmers to snorkel. [IT ISN'T] Here - I even bought you this vest they recommend for non-swimmers - you just have to float around. [AND YOU'LL PROBABLY BE OK, BUT YOU MIGHT DROWN.]"

the contempt and fear-mongering of the Aussie's "traditional Australian shock&sarcasm form of education."

Where do you get the idea of me feeling contempt for anyone?! I felt extreme distress (?panic?) at seeing the OP encouraged that waist-deep water is safe, just months after I dealt with a strong, healthy man who drowned from wading-snorkeling in hip-deep, waveless, warm water. (Very strong current, though.) I gave useful advice on owning your own gear so it fits, and becoming confident in a swimming pool - not sure how you got contempt our of that.

MOVING ON...
I think the man who died on my vacation was uninformed and unwise, but not stupid. By all accounts he was a really wonderful, charismatic, intelligent bloke who put a lot of effort into researching other aspects of his trip. That's what makes this so sad.

Unlike JimLap I don't think that adults who can't swim are lazy or dumb. There are many places in the world in which adult swimming is uncommon past the stage of beginner, especially for women. (Temperature, inland location, cultural). When people from these countries go on vacation they see lovely warm, calm idyllic bays with other people snorkeling. It looks so safe!

But even confident swimmers from land-locked countries get a shock when they enter the ocean for the first time. They can't believe how salty it is! (that screwed up face is always funny to watch). The waves and currents are very disconcerting, and the bottom's covered in trenches and miniature sand-dunes. It's nothing like the swimming pools and rivers that they're used to.

In my opinion* a non-swimmer + the ocean or even pool/lake/river is like russian roulette. Most of the time it'll be fine. But if something goes wrong - even a little thing - then suddenly it becomes a life and death situation. A panicked person no-longer makes rational decisions and can die even if they're a strong swimmer. As a general rule a non-swimmer is more likely to panic because more things are unfamiliar, and they're less equipped to solve their problem.

Step on a sharp rock or shell? Inhale some water? Stung by a jellyfish? Drifting closer to that scary clump of seaweed? Notice a piece of glass and don't want to step on it, but current is pushing you that way? See a scary critter? Suddenly step into one of those troughs in the sand and end up in deep water? Any of these tiny little things can spiral out of control. Snorkeling can add extra problems, like a fogged-up mask, a leaky snorkel, or clumsy fins making people trip over when they stand up.

The muscle contractions of coughing / choking often make people bend forwards. Once you breathe in water you're doubled over coughing - either your feet come up or your head goes down. In waist deep water there's a good chance your head is now right at the surface, and you're splashing around. Maybe you can't keep your balance and fall over. Maybe your mask comes off and you panic and can't necessarily tell which is up.

Along with most of the snorkelers on here I just don't think snorkeling is safe enough for non-swimmers. Like I said in my previous post - learn to swim, buy gear that fits and become confident using it in a controlled environment.

* "My opinion". I'm speaking as an ex-lifesaving instructor, a strong swimmer, an enthusiastic snorkeler who wants to share the fun... and also as someone who unexpectedly found themselves giving mouth-to-mouth to a drowned corpse on vacation.

ImParticipating, I stand by my post. I think that what you are doing is called "projecting your own fears." Yes, of course, drowning is horrible, and it happens, and it is more likely to happen, to a non-swimmer than a swimmer. I'm sure you have heard how people (used to at least) drown in New Zealand on hikes when they fall into shallow streams with heavy back packs on. So don't go hiking? Where I live now, in the Daytona Beach area, several swimmers, drown every year. That does not mean that a non-swimmer may not even enter shallow water and enjoy himself. (1) He may chose to snorkel in small lakes and calm streams, which is where the good snorkeling is in my area in any case; (2) He may educate himself to the dangers and make himself familiar with his snorkeling grounds and so reduce the likelihood of panicking; (3) He may suffer from a limitation which makes regular swimming impossible and be comfortable with increased risk.

My message to anyone reading this thread is this: You can do anything want, if you can afford it, prepare yourself as best you can, and are willing to take the risks involved. Climb cliffs, fly like the birdmen of Norway, go diving in caves, sail around the world solo. You can sure as ***** go snorkeling. It is better to be a good swimmer if you go snorkeling but if you cannot, due to some limitation that you have, and you still want to go snorkeling, than go for it. Remember that panic is your worst enemy. Do the best you can. And if you should die, let people who are too squeamish to retrieve your body do something else with their lives. Above all this: You are not an irresponsible fool just because you choose to take risks.

Last edited:
Me, I think it's unfortunate when people participate in unsafe activities without realising just how dangerous they are; when people would have made a different decision if they'd understood the level of risk. That's why I spoke up.

I reckon everyone's informed about some of the dangers of snorkeling now, so the ball's in their court. :wink:

Now I'll sit back and see if the OP shows up and gives us more detail about his/her situation. :coffee:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom