Snorkeling in Aruba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbilicska

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everybody. Does anyone know of any good spots to snorkel in Aruba.
We've been to Malmok ,Boca Catalina and Depalm Island we love those spots but are looking for any new spots that are good.

Thanks
Joe b

On a trip to Aruba about 6-7 years ago, we enjoyed the snorkelling (no diving) at a place called "Baby Beach".

Baby beach is fun especially for little kids (inside the break water). There is another nice little spot though I don't know the name. It's a small public beach up toward the California light house (you would pass it on the way too or from the CLH). It's kind of rocky and it's next to some houses just after the high rises. The Tatoo stops there on the afternoon cruise and it's very accessible from shore.

Baby Beach is still a popular snorkel site. Sadly the shallow part of the reef (everything shallower than about 25 feet) was totally destroyed in 2004 by hurricane Ivan. All the coral (including all the Elkhorn) is gone, yet there is still a lot of reef fish in the shallow area of the reef.

At this moment the best snorkel spot in Aruba is probably Mangel Halto Reef (http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/Aruba/Mangel_Halto_Reef/index.htm#site) .

You could stay inside the bay, but the best snorkeling is outside the bay. The reef starts right outside (South of) the rocky ridge/barrier. I’ve spent hours at a time snorkeling at this location. The area is so large and there is so much to see. Snorkeling here is what inspired me to get into Scuba Diving. However, inexperienced snorkelers will probably not enjoy the trip outside the bay. There is also a Fire Coral maze behind (South and South/West of) the White buoy. I’ve gotten lost in there once. Finding my out was fun!

Right next to Mangel Halto Reef there is another dive spot called Puerto Chikito
http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/ABC/Aruba/Puerto_Chiquito/index.htm. It is a popular shore dive as it is the easiest shore dive on the island. I’ve not seen many people snorkeling there, but it would make for a great snorkel as the reef starts in about 12 feet of water. Probably not as good as Mangel Halto Reef, but a somewhat easier snorkel anyway.

Don’t leave any valuables in your car at Mangel Halto or Puerto Chikito as many cars get broken into at these locations.

Thanks for all the replies and the links.
We've heard a whole lot of contrasting views on Baby Beach. Some say it's great some say it's
horrible. We tried it once but didn't go out far enough because we didn't see a thing.

Thanks
Joe b

There is still lots to see at Baby Beach, but you have got to know where to snorkel.

Inside the cove at Baby Beach there is not much to see. Most snorkelers stay inside the cove or go out a little bit at the small inlet (almost all the way East at Baby Beach). There are still lots of reef fish there, but no live coral; only coral rubble (mostly broken Elkhorn Coral). Going out the large inlet (West of the Small inlet) you’ll see more live coral. If you make your way outside the bay at either inlet and drift West, you will get to the part of the reef that is still alive. The best way to get back out of the water is probably to swim all the way around by drifting West and exit at the cove next to Baby Beach (this cove is called Rogers Beach and is West of Baby Beach). A good exit point is a small beach before you reach the first pier; you’ll see some wooden fishing boats moored in front of this beach. There are some small shallow parts when entering Roger Beach, so be prepared to swim around them.

You're welcome jbilicska!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom