Snorkeling in Hatteras, NC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDiverGreg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm going to be in Hatteras, NC for 4 days at the end of July and I'm wondering if there are any decent spots to go snorkeling somewhere near Hatteras or somewhere along the Outer Banks. Could I find any sea life by a pier? Any rocky areas where some sponges/fish hang-out? What about in Pamlico sound? Any snorkelable shipwrecks in the area?

Please let me know! Thanks!

well, we don't have native rock though some jetties are made of imported rock & might be an idea. the triangle wrecks might be snorkleable, but in general there isn't much to see that close to shore. i've tried it & seen some sand and one fish. the pier might be a good idea if there isn't much surf & no fishing right above you, but could quickly go bad i'd think.

anyone else with ideas?

I just stumbled across some pictures of guys snorkeling off what looks to be a jetty at Wrightsville NC: Flickr: avireos' Photostream
I don't anything about it and have never even been to the coast of NC, but at least someone has attempted to snorkel there.

Back
Top Bottom