Snorkeling photos from Curacao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks Dave. What eyepiece viewer did you buy? I'm also thinking of a weight belt. I'll probably try and rent one when I'm there. I don't want to worry about carrying weights in my suitcase. As an alternative I might buy the belt at home and just rent weights there. Now I've got to stop worrying about shallow water blackout - I never even heard about it until last week. It seems like hyperventilating is the main cause, so you can bet that will NOT be a technique I use. From what I'm reading, limiting my time underwater to something reasonable and not pushing my limits will also help. I can hold my breath while sitting for about 90 seconds. Under exertion, I'm guessing maybe half that amount. I'll aim for 5 seconds to dive, 15-20 seconds underwater, and 5 seconds to ascend. It seems reasonable... I've also read that I should relax and take in a normal deep breath before the dive. Apparently oxygen levels won't be that much better by taking 2-3 deep breaths/exhales prior to the dive...

Here's where I got the eyepiece viewer: Photosolve Home > Products > Xtend-a-View
Note than depending on actual location of the buttons on the back your waterproof case, it is possible than none of the viewers will fit. You won't know that until you actually try to fit a viewer on the case. However, it turned out they fit perfectly on the cases for both my cameras. For attaching the viewer to the case, be sure to use industrial strength velcro from a hardware store. The cheapo velcro that comes with the viewer will come unglued after just a few days use in the water.

Renting a weight belt is easy in any location that has a dive shop. Cost is about $3/day.

You have been reading way too many of these freediving posts from competition-driven people concerned about achieving their "personal best" instead of enjoying and observing the underwater world. Relax, take it easy, you don't have to worry about how long you can hold your breath or if you will get shallow water blackout. Snorkeling is not technical, and that is one of its joys. I never think about shallow water blackout because I'm never holding my breath anywhere near that long.

Thanks Dave for the information. And a BIG thanks for knocking some sense into my head about the risks (or lack thereof) of the kind of free diving I want to do. I'll be in the pool this weekend at our local fitness center and start to try some 20-30 second dives with my mask and snorkel on. I won't have a weight belt, but it should not matter for practice. I'm sure the scuba shops in St. John can help me reach a neutral bouyancy. I've already spoken to them before about a possible intro dive, but my wife is wary of it. The one shop I spoke with was very helpful. I'm sure I'm not the first snorkeler they've had looking for some neutral bouyancy assistance.

Sounds like we have been to many of the same places! As you probably realize, it is very difficult to compare or "rate" snorkeling sites because so many factors come into play. I could write pages and pages comparing the details of each place. Of the places you mention, Akumal I would rate the lowest, although the turtles were great and it was still a nice spot. The other three locales all have their advantages. Curacao definitely had the clearest water, followed by Roatan, and then Culebra. West Bay Beach on Roatan had a huge reef with excellent underwater topography, although there weren't many fish. Culebra was extremely easy and calm (when I was there), Carlos Rosario had a very healthy and pretty reef, and I think I got my best uw photos on Culebra. The places I went on Curacao had surprisingly little coral growth; it seemed like the really lush coral didn't start until you got to scuba depths starting at a depth of about 30 ft. There were a lot of little things and fish in holes and crevices on Curacao; the more you looked, the more you saw. Except for 2 barracuda, I saw no large fish on Curacao. I never saw a stingray or lobster. I think the best all-around snorkeling I have seen in the Caribbean has been in Belize, but generally you have to go by boat and there is not much snorkeling there right off the beach. Virtually every time I got in the water in Belize, I saw one (or several) nurse sharks. There was a lot of healthy coral, and fish were abundant.

Thank you for your comment on my photos. I have a lot of fun taking them. Sorry about your camera. Photos have become so important to me that I always take my old digital as a back-up in case my main camera has a "problem".

Thanks Dave for your detailed reply, I would have about the same thoughts on those 3 locations, we saw quite a few spotted rays at Akumal which added to the experience. Carlos Rosario was our favorite on Culebra, the first day we went there it was a very bright day and the water was quite clear, very nice. We keep thinking about Belize but the shore snorkeling is important to us. Funny thing is I also took a Pentax W20 on the PR trip, but after the new Canon leaked I was reluctant to try it. It had already leaked on previous trips, but somehow keeps working when dry, so my wife uses it as dry camera :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom