Snorkeling photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Caught this little fellow during a dawn snorkel on Bonaire.

baby_on_dawn_snorkel.jpg

Dang your photos are really wonderful! It makes me want to go back to the water as soon as possible. Thanks so much. Your photos are a wonderful still experience that will forever be engraved in my memory.The way you guys photograph these scenes and creatures makes the wait on land worth all the more. Cheers!

Great thread everyone! I personally love snorkeling/free diving and try to have my camera with me whenever I can. Free diving allows the diver to get closer to marine life if he/she is slow and calm enough. I've become a liveaboard junkie these days and whenever I take a dive trip I'm doing mostly scuba diving. But usually the day before I board the boat (and sometimes the final day after checkout) I will book a charter on a day boat for the expressed reason of snorkeling/free diving.

I really wish snorkeling/free diving was a PADI specialty class. It could cover physical training methods, breath hold techniques, being a spotter for other free divers, and recognizing/mitigating shallow water blackout. These types of classes are offered but it'd be cool if it were an actual specialty c-card you could earn as a result of the class.

I'm about to do a trip to Papua New Guinea, my first day there before I board the liveaboard I'll be going out on a day boat and doing nothing but snorkeling at 2-3 different dive locations. I cannot wait!

Here are a few teasers and a link to my snorkeling pictures from our April 2010 visit.

I experimented a bit on this trip with the camera settings (Pentax Optio W80) thanks to some tips garnered from the resident snorkel photography guru on ScubaBoard, Dave C (still no weight belt).:sigh_2: My focus this trip was geared more towards capturing images of different marine species vs. coral formations.

Conditions: The winds were blowing northeasterly for most of the week, which made visibility on the North Side of the island sub-optimal (all the crud that pools in the North Sound gets blown back out towards sea, but ends up trapped by the barrier reef). You will see many of the images (especially from the Sting City Dive Site) have greenish hues or castes to them; this is as a result of the higher than usual concentrations of algae.

Locations Snorkeled: Rum Point Coal Gardens, Rum Point Shore Trail, Barefoot Beach, Sting Ray City Dive Site, Queen’s Monument* and Anchor Point*. I was not able to do the Barrier Reef route at Rum Point due to poor conditions; the winds transitioned back to their more normal westerly direction, creating chop and stronger currents when I planned on going.

* (no images): Since the OEM battery with the Pentax has a low capacity I purchased a “High Capacity” no-name brand to have on hand for some longer snorkels. Let’s just say, I was lucky to get 10 pictures before it was drained. Of course, this caused me to miss two Grand Mother (i.e. Giant) Sting Rays hunting at Queen’s Monument and some really unique underwater geothermal vents at Anchor Point. :banghead:

IMGP0376.jpg

IMGP0385.jpg

IMGP0424.jpg

IMGP0456.jpg

IMGP0543.jpg

IMGP0501.jpg

IMGP0495.jpg

IMGP0600.jpg

IMGP0636.jpg

IMGP0577.jpg

IMGP0523.jpg

IMGP0569.jpg

Clicking this image will take you to the entire trip highlight album and slideshow:
http://picasaweb.google.com/testudo92/GrandCaymanSnorkelImagesRumPointAndBarefootBeachApril2010#slideshow/5467196503343080738

Last edited:
Testudo,
You definitely got some nice shots that really show what the underwater terrain looks like at the sites you snorkeled. I liked the queen triggerfish, as I have not seen very many of those and would dearly like to get a decent photo of one. The third photo with the massive coral head looks like it would be a great spot to snorkel. I looked at your slidesow on picasa, and you have many good shots there. I've been to Grand Cayman three times, but it was only the last time in 2002 that I had a digital camera. You may be interested in some of the photos that I took then:
Grand Cayman 2002 - a set on Flickr
These were some of my first attempts at digital underwater photography, and my camera was rather primitive by today's standards (only 3 mgp), but some of the photos turned out o.k.

Your photos reminded me of how good Grand Cayman is for snorkeling. I've been to a bunch of other places in the Caribbean since I was in Grand Cayman in 2002, and Grand Cayman certainly compares favorably with the other spots.

DaveC,

Many thanks. You are the standard bearer for which I hope to one day be able to emulate. No, really! The composition and detail in your shots is amazing, 3 MP or not. I am contemplating getting an UW case for my Canon 7 MP, the image quality is just so mush better than the Pentax I am using now. Anything I need to compensate for when using a case?

Diving with scuba has brought me deeper and have taken a lot of photos with strobes. These shots taken in really shallow water reminds me of how beautiful it is even in shallow water. The hermit crab, the crab with the fishbone, these are sites most scuba divers miss. Thanks for posting these wonderful natural looking photos.

some nice photos here, i will add mine once i get the right to post photos..

this is me and my best friend on a cold stormy day in sydney.,
DSC00163.JPG

DSC00198.JPG

DSC00168.JPG

DSC00162.JPG

My new best friend at my local spot.
DSC00025.JPG

and what is this?
found it in 5m of water on sand at shelley beach. didnt take it home because thats not the proper thing to do.
DSC00180.JPG

DSC00165.JPG

Back
Top Bottom