Snorkeling the Mayan Riviera & Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Queenkatleen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Where are the best spots to snorkel that are free? Also staying PDC, l need a "learn 2 dive day" recommendation for Instructor in PDC, Akumal or Cozumel?

I highly recommend THE SNORKEL SHOP in Playa del Carmen and Puerto Aventuras!! They have great tours and a great selection of equipment. In fact most of the instructors I work with regularly go there to get any gear they need and since we do limited snorkeling stuff, we send a lot of snorkeling customers over there. You can check them out at Mexican Tour East | Home Eng
Hope that helps!

Good snorkeling in Akumal at Akumal Bay (just about guaranteed you'll see several turtles), Yal Ku Lagoon, and if you are experienced snorkelers Half Moon Bay is worth some time too. No charge for Akumal Bay or Half Moon Bay. Yal Ku does have a fee (I think it's something like $8-10 now.)

If you want to do a SCUBA Resort Course in Akumal, Shaleh at Akumal Dive Adventures (located next to La Buena Vida on Half Moon Bay) is an excellent instructor. Having done lots of diving in the Riviera Maya and Akumal over several years, I'd suggest Akumal over Cozumel to do a resort course... virtually no current to speak of and there are lots of shallow reef sites. I love Cozumel diving, but I think you will get more enjoyment out of it if you have a little bit of experience before you dive there.

You can't beat Cozemel. A lot more fish and clearer water. Look out for really big grouper, nurse sharks and turtles : )

You can't beat Cozemel. A lot more fish and clearer water. Look out for really big grouper, nurse sharks and turtles : )

we are talking snorkeling. akumal and yal ku have much better snorkeling than anywhere in cozumel when not going out on a boat.
and since you mention it, there are more fish in playa and cancun than in cozumel although the underwater seascape is much prettier in cozumel.

Hit the nail on the head docmartin!! Cozumel: prettier coral, more color, and depending on the time of year better viz (right now Playa has been having great viz as well). Mainland side: flatter reefs with less hard coral but MUCH more fish life and bigger animals. For divers I would say dive BOTH, for snorkelers I would stick to the mainland for sure. Mix in a little cavern (cenote) snorkeling and you have a great variety!

Hit the nail on the head docmartin!! Cozumel: prettier coral, more color, and depending on the time of year better viz (right now Playa has been having great viz as well). Mainland side: flatter reefs with less hard coral but MUCH more fish life and bigger animals. For divers I would say dive BOTH, for snorkelers I would stick to the mainland for sure. Mix in a little cavern (cenote) snorkeling and you have a great variety!
SOME areas of the mainland... if you are comparing the local Akumal reefs to Cozumel then CZM wins hands down for marine life (except tortugas. Still cannot beat anyplace on the coast of Coz for tortugas)

I'm more of a diver than a snorkeller, but I would say if you do dive, and miss Cozemel you are missing out big style. I found the mainland to be much less rewarding and unlike some others found the really big marine life to be on the Cozemel side. Its a marine park, so no fishing allowed unlike the mainland areas. It will depend on the day, time of year and experience of course...

Some of the drift diving in Cozemel was simply world class though and not to be missed if you are there. Its so easy to do a day trip that there is no reason not to do both mainland and Cozemel : ) Cozemel has some amazing secluded beaches as well, so not just diving : )

Have fun.

thanks so much..went to ya ku but it was ng...and im thinking of doing cenotes and head out to cozumel...some 30 years ago we dove Isla Mujeres and it was fantastic ...wonder if that has changed?
thanks again
kathleen

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom