Snorkeling with Whale sharks in May?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovetoscuba

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning a scuba trip to Cancun from May 12 to May 19. I would really love to do the Whale shark snorkel while I'm there. Does anybody know what are the chances of seeing a whale shark so early in the season? One site says June 1 to Sept while another said beginning May 15.

Zero. Season starts June 1st. Prior to that it's illegal so no tours will be available.

I agree with Mike ! Don't plan anything for the Whale shark ! But climate and weather is changing everywhere so if for any reason they come in early for sure it will be announced and tours will be available.

My recommendation is to enjoy the local diving and snorkel trips in Cancun

Check us out
Coconut Divers
Leif

Just to CLARIFY, being a direct operator for Whale Shark Snorkeling, OUR PERMITS ARE FROM MAY 15TH TO SEPTEMBER 15TH. We know because we do this for a living, we would not have an opinion if it was done somewhere else and we "think" we know.

Some years the migrations come earlier, some later, we generally send scouts and they find the whale shark scouts as well, this is around the first week of may. Then we send a plane to check on the migrations.
After May 15th we do tours every couple of days until June 1st, and we do so NOT BECAUSE IT IS NOT LEGAL, but because at times the migration has not arrived or stays.
If you would like more information on whale shark snorkeling or Scuba Diving click on the web site and shoot us an email. We are open to any inquiries from ANYONE that would like to know more about this than to misinform
HAPPY DIVING

Back
Top Bottom