Snorkels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know neither but if you have looked this closely the only thing that will now matter is personal feel. Any chance of getting them in the pool?

I never thought I would have a strong opinion on snorkels but I recently was teaching a class where one of the students had purchased a Riffe snorkel. At first, I had a hard time telling if she was clearing the snorkel correctly because the snorkel clears so easily. I went ahead and picked up one up and it is the easiest clearing snorkel I have ever had. YMMV.

Kaiviti:
What about the Impulse Flex 3. I am down to choosing between the impulse and the barracuda?

The Impulse 3 Flex is NOT a "DRY" snorkel. It does NOT have a valve for stopping water from entering the barrel. The Barracuda is a dry snorkel. If you're looking at Aqualung, you would have to look at the Impulse Dry Snorkel. The Impulse Dry Snorkel dry valve is larger than the one on the Barracuda and functions better. It is a larger snorkel than the Barracuda, which is much more streamlined.

If I was in rough water I'd use the Impulse 3 Dry, if in calm water I'd use the Barracuda but use a Neoprene snorkel keeper in place of the one that comes on it.

Hope this helps you decide!

SwimsWithSharks:
I never thought I would have a strong opinion on snorkels but I recently was teaching a class where one of the students had purchased a Riffe snorkel. At first, I had a hard time telling if she was clearing the snorkel correctly because the snorkel clears so easily. I went ahead and picked up one up and it is the easiest clearing snorkel I have ever had. YMMV.

I was going to chime in on the Riffe & Omer snorkels...simple, nothing to break, huge bore, nice and tight to your head (low drag).

All the best, James

CrazyScuba:
The Impulse 3 Flex is NOT a "DRY" snorkel. It does NOT have a valve for stopping water from entering the barrel. The Barracuda is a dry snorkel. If you're looking at Aqualung, you would have to look at the Impulse Dry Snorkel. The Impulse Dry Snorkel dry valve is larger than the one on the Barracuda and functions better. It is a larger snorkel than the Barracuda, which is much more streamlined.

If I was in rough water I'd use the Impulse 3 Dry, if in calm water I'd use the Barracuda but use a Neoprene snorkel keeper in place of the one that comes on it.

Hope this helps you decide!

Thanks very much for your help. What are the advantages and disadvantages of the impulse 3 and the barracuda? I understand that the impulse 3 isn't "dry" but i have heard that it is relatively simply to clear. I also find that the impulse 3 has a larger bore when compared with the barracuda. Is there any place where i could get a comparison of the two?

Unfortunately i am unable to test in the pool. I wish i could.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Do crazy scuba sell directly to customers in Australia? If so, what are the prices like? The best price for both the impulse and the aeris are $70 australian. If i can get a better price, including shipping, i have no hesitation in buying it online.

Thanks again for your help.

A simple J is the best snorkel. You don't need a snorkel with purge valves, deflectors or any of the other "improvements." The easiest breathing snorkels are the ones without anything in the way of air moving smoothly in and out. A simple J is also considerably cheaper.

I know Walter always states flatly a simple J is the best, I disagree. Certainly nothing wrong with a J if that's what you like, and they're cheap, but there is no best of anything for everyone and every situation.

Purge valves and deflectors are very nice if you are actually snorkeling and I don't find them any harder to breath, actually easier since you're not dealing with water. I do agree that too much bulky junk on a snorkel is a drawback for diving whether you wear it (ugh) or stow it. But there are some snorkels that have fairly small purge or deflector designs that don't get in the way but are enough to help a lot.

Damselfish:
I know Walter always states flatly a simple J is the best, I disagree. Certainly nothing wrong with a J if that's what you like, and they're cheap, but there is no best of anything for everyone and every situation.

Purge valves and deflectors are very nice if you are actually snorkeling and I don't find them any harder to breath, actually easier since you're not dealing with water. I do agree that too much bulky junk on a snorkel is a drawback for diving whether you wear it (ugh) or stow it. But there are some snorkels that have fairly small purge or deflector designs that don't get in the way but are enough to help a lot.

Yeah i understand that. Thats why i am opting for the impulse 3 or the barracuda. They are both slim and sleek. I am just having trouble choosing between the two. And unfortunately i cant test these.

Damselfish:

I'll be happy to teach you to use a simple J.

Back
Top Bottom