So Cal has lost another paragon of diving ;~(

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pat Smith passed away a week ago after a very short extremely debilitating illness.

At Pat's request there will be no memorial service

His widow Cindy ask that all who knew him or had contact with him write a short tribute to him for the family to read

My letter - tribute to Pat Smith

"Dear Cindy and family

It is warm here in XXXXX and the sun is shining …
But I don’t fell the warmth of the air or notice the brightest of the sun.

As I walk along the beach I don’t fell the ocean breeze or the freshness of the ocean air.

When I view the arroyo and the Pacific Ocean from the comfort of my home I can’t appreciate its beauty.

My senses have been numbed by the passing of my dear friend and confidante Captain Pat Smith.

I don’t recall when, where or how Pat and I met.

It seems to me we knew each other forever.
So many years we were always crossing paths ….
We were always bumping into each other at So Cal dive events.

I was so delighted to play host to you and Pat that stormy day when you arrived almost unannounced at our door.
That was a long time ago but seems like only yesterday,
I wish it was….

Pat was like a younger brother which I never had.

We had so much in common, so many mutual friends,
So many good and great discussions long into the night....

Of things from the past, the present and of the future which will be no more

His passing was a great personal loss to me, but an even greater loss to the underwater world and especially those who diligently research ship wrecks.

He will be especially missed by the members of the San Luis Obispo Underwater Search and Recovery team. His yearly presentations on ship wrecks of California will leave a big void in their yearly dive conference.

We shared so many meals together…
I was never so honored to have had that last wonderful breakfast with Pat. Little did we realize that in a few short days Pat would be gone…*

All this and even more will always be a component of my many pleasant memories of Captain Pat Smith.

Via con Dios Amigo

With my most sincere condolences to you and your family

Sam"

* Pat and my wife Betty and I had a wonderful breakfast on Saturday at a popular local café. Betty and I attempted conversation but the answers were mono tone and generally Yes -No- OK.

His ambulation at that time was normal . On the way to our car he and I stopped - Pat looked around surveying the area and basking in the sun- I will never know his thoughts but I suspect he recognized this would be his last view of the area

We returned to his home and set in the living room around a WW11 liberty ship hatch cover coffee table discussing the past, for I knew and I believe Pat realized his future would be measured in days.

I some how mentioned an early LA County UW instructor Gene Cornelius. Pat's face suddenly lit up--there was a sign of recognition he said he knew Gene- As I told stories about Gene I detected signs of attempted laughter for Gene and his adventures were legendary .

Tuesday he was using a walker
Wednesday he needed a wheel chair
Thursday he was confined to bed, slowly deteriorating never to rise again

SDM

In honor of the sudden loss of Patrick Smith and on behalf of Cindy Shaw (Cin Divers) Ken Kollwitz has planned a boat trip to Anacapa aboard the Peace on Friday, June 30th where we can cherishing his memories and love of the ocean together!

Trip Details
• Where: Anacapa for 3 dives
• Depart from: Ventura Harbor
• When: Friday, June 30, 2017
• Time: Board on Thursday night after 8:00 pm or after 7:00 am on Friday morning with the Peace departing at 8:00 am
• Cost: $100.00-diving or not and limited to 30 people-NO refunds will be made. If you have paid and cannot go your payment will be donated to a charity of Cindy’s choosing.
• VERY IMPORTANT-this is a special priced trip in honor of our friend Patrick Smith. PLEASE do not signup if you are only looking for an inexpensive dive trip.

Ken Kollwitz will be handling all payments, sign-ups and questions you may have about this trip. You can contact Ken at 805 469-7288 or ken@channelislandsdiveadventures.com

Back
Top Bottom