So, just who is George Irvine III?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's a good video but there are a few things he says in there that are either a) outdated or b) has been perverted over time. Would be an interesting topic for discussion.
Good point....create a list of these, get it to me, and I will see about having George and Bill address them with me--and come up with a DIR3 Addendum :)

I'll have to watch it again pausing/rewinding to take proper notes. I'll send you 2 that I remember.

I'm not sure that I'm following you on this. If you don't live close by to cave diving, then it's going to cost more money to pursue it.

Anybody that has saved up $5,000 to take Cave 1 in Mexico has likely given up on other pursuits in order to focus strictly on that class in Mexico.

Pretending?....seems pretty real to me.

Cheers,
Mitch

You should watch the movie sometime, its available on Hulu and Netflix etc.

---------- Post added April 15th, 2013 at 10:03 AM ----------

I have zero formal DIR training and do not consider myself DIR. I was once called Pseudo-DIR. Still haven't decided if that was a good thing or not. I have considered enrolling in a UTD course just so that I could get access to certain diving endeavours if I ever decide to pursue them. Yes, we are tribal. But wouldn't it be good to be able to access some of the goodies the other tribe has (eg side scanning an entire lake looking for targets)...

Lake Washington? Like many places in the US that has had nice multibeam images done by NOAA for at least 5 years now. Not too difficult to render them either. Most of the newer targets are in shallower water where previous generations of divers using towfish were hesitate to scan because of the risks to their expensive equipment. In any case, the absence of 'documentation' of many of these target is actually a good thing - keeps the adventure alive.

And anyone else....Since I am going to do a DIR addendum document, if you have any other issues you would like raised, this would be the time to let me know--in the next week.
Hi Dan,

Since you asked for comments.....

• That recommendation of flipping the single tank over the head seemed a little odd to me. I've only seen it done by non-DIR show-offs. On a rocking boat, I would think it would be downright dangerous.

• The "long hose" on the single tank looked rather short. How long was that?

• I have seen more concise descriptions of how to properly place the chest D-rings.

• I wasn't sure what he was talking about "bolting" the crotch strap.

• He was totally against weights not on a belt. I never heard a GUE instructor who was anti V-weights and tail weights for doubles, and various solutions for singles, as long as you had a balanced rig (could swim it up from the bottom with an empty wing).

I have to say, though, that I enjoyed the video. It was cool seeing George as a real person, rather than a larger than life internet villian. :ar15:

• That recommendation of flipping the single tank over the head seemed a little odd to me. I've only seen it done by non-DIR show-offs. On a rocking boat, I would think it would be downright dangerous.
Ya, I thought that was a little showman ship to demonstrate how "easy" it is for "him". :)

It was a 5' hose. He goes on to talk about a 7' hose in overhead environments. That is consistent with most advise I hear today.

• He was totally against weights not on a belt. I never heard a GUE instructor who was anti V-weights and tail weights for doubles, and various solutions for singles, as long as you had a balanced rig (could swim it up from the bottom with an empty wing).

Yes, this was the biggest difference I saw that I sent to Dan. That and his advice about non-balanced 2nds. I think most have moved on from that these days.

Hi Dan,

• In the old days( 60's and 70's) this was pretty normal....but also remember that the tank used was a 72--very light, and their was no weight in the BC--often no BC even, just a plastic harness. George did this for an al 80, with no intergrated weight, just the light weight halcyon 19 lb or 28 pound wing and harness...so still not heavy for someone around George's body size. It would NOT be practical for someone weighing 135 pounds, man or woman. The practice of the overhead donning was often "part of" the deco process George would be involved with often at Wakulla, after big cave explorations, when they got to the u/w structure they had for final deco. .. where they would get out of one tank system, and into another. This is much easier underwater, but having done it on-land makes it easier and more natural underwater. Between us, this was not the norm for most DIR divers to put single tanks on when diving charter boats. However, if you are strong enough to do this without endangering your back in any way, it is a good skill to have.

• George would sometimes use a 5 or 6 foot hose for single tank recreational diving in the ocean. This is more about what is comfortable wrapping under a light, or routing under something to stay tight to body--but not needing the full 7 foot length because of no need for the single file exit of a narrow cave with 2 divers sharing gas. For my body size, the 7 foot under my can light, or under a waiste pocket, is actually the most comfortable. Some divers with smaller torso's will prefer 5 foot lengths for this.

• I have seen more concise descriptions of how to properly place the chest D-rings.
  • And I think the descriptions in DIR 1 and 2 might be better also....Hopefully I can get my hands on these and upload them to youtube.
  • I wasn't sure what he was talking about "bolting" the crotch strap.
  • With my Halcyon bp/wing from 1999, there were bolts that connected two parts of the strap used for the crotch--to shorten or lengthen it--they went through grommets. Now, there may be a different shortening/lengthening method--- the bolting idea was used because with multi mile scooter towing, pulling on the crotch strap, you COULD NOT ALLOW a sliding system to loosen over several hours and change the control of the towed diver with a longer strap--line.
  • I will add this to my list of questions for George to answer himself.....just remember for ocean, George had us always using al 80's..single or double.
I have to say, though, that I enjoyed the video. It was cool seeing George as a real person, rather than a larger than life internet villian. :ar15:

Thanks for sharing this. To me, hating George for how he posted on the cavers list, is a lot like hating "Stone Cold Steve Austin", for being mean to the Rock or to Hulk Hogan in the last Pro Wrestling match.... There was a huge ENTERTAINMENT component to getting the Internet to push out the DIR ideas in the late 90's, and in real life, George was as different as Hulk Hogan is in real life ( who I actually worked out with at Stan's gym in Tampa in the late 80's...he was called Terry Bolet then, and was more of a musician and body builder type, nothing like the later TV personna --not even close--very quiet and polite.).

Hi Dan,

It might be "dangerous" on a boat, but I often use this methods on land because it is actually easier. I often have difficulty with straps and things getting hung up due to limited flexability in my arms. But putting it on over my head things just slide together easier.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Am I the only one who flinched when George was swinging around those 2nd stages and bashing them into everything and anything?

It's nice to hear GI speaking directly about some of the logic though. I thought he mentioned a lot of extra reasons to dislike bungeed wings for instance than is in the official GUE material.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom