So we're thinking of moving to Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Windminstrel

Reaction score
My beloved and I are getting durned tired of the Connecticut winters, and are thinking of moving to FL in 2 years (just before the son starts highschool). Since divers are great people, figured I'd come here for some thoughts.

My initial research suggests that Tampa would be a good area for a job -- I'm a computer programmer, and there's a cubic crapload of job offers that would fit me quite well. Thing is, from browsing the boards here it looks like Tampa diving conditions aren't so great.

So, my questions to you:

If I were to move to the Tampa area, how far would I have to drive for a good saltwater dive? (I drive 2 hours now to get to 10' viz)

If we were to pick up a boat, how big of a boat would we need that'd take us to nice diving?

Any dolphins around to look at?

And, non-scuba questions:

Are there any other areas that have a lot of high-tech industry, but near better diving?

How's living in the Tampa area?

Are the schools year-round, or do they have a full summer vacation?

Thanks for any responses you'd choose to post.

You can take a boat from Tampa, it will take an hour or two to get out to the sites and then expect fair conditions, beach diving with similar viz is about an hour south of you, or head on over to the SE coast for shore or boat diving and that will take you about 3-4 hours each way. Head up to cave country in about 2-3 hours is your other option.

I hear mixed stuff about Tampa, i also hear it about Orlando so cant really advise on any of your other questions.

Have you looked in the Melbourne area? We have several hi-tech companies in the area. Look at Harris Corp, Northrum Grumman, Rockwell, ITT, L-3 Communications, and Computer Sciences Raytheon.

The salaries in this area are lower, but so is the cost of living. The schools are pretty good, and I think there's only one or two schools that go year round. Most schools go early August through May.

As far as diving goes... we usually cruise down to Jupiter, West Palm, and Ft Lauderdale to dive. 1 1/2 hours to 2 1/2 hours driving.

Al

My wife and I moved down here (South FL) from Rockland County some 20+ years ago for the same reason. Haven't regretted it for a moment.

My impression of the job market at the moment is that it is a little sluggish. Programming also doesn't pay like it used to - unless you get lucky. Used to be if you were a competent programmer you'd have no trouble getting a contract at one of the larger companies in Boca. No more.

Have a look at Dice / Hotjobs and Monster. Area codes of 561 and 954. Seems like there's more available for SQL or .NET then say device drivers, c/c++ etc.

Also - things are pretty pricey here at the moment. Have a look at realtor.com. In our neighborhood they are buying small homes for $900K and knocking them down to build houses to the sky.

But - the diving ain't bad :)

I grew up in Tampa. I like it. Big place but still not too crazy like Atlanta or NYC, where I currently am and freezing my butt off. I highly suggest you buy Ned DeLoach's DIVING GUIDE TO UNDERWATER FLORIDA. Great Book. Maybe the best book on diving locations I have ever purchased. Comprehensive would be a good word. It will answer ALL your questions about diving in every inch of Florida from fresh to salt water.

As others have said, westcoast diving is not nearly as good as eastcoast Florida diving. Gulf vs ocean, the ocean wins everytime. What the Tampa area is known for is spearfishing. Again from Ned's book. Good luck and have fun! Tampa basically is made up of folks who have moved from the NE US (tons of New Yorkers) and Canada and the upper Midwest US.

I also am going to do the same, relocate and hopefully work part time. But wanted to live in Sarasota. My search revealed that there is no land available for a single family homes and you must get in a lottery and just get lucky to have the opportunity to buy a new home, (off I-75, price) prices 300 to 400k . Then I went to Ft Lauderdale, another price shocker. I even drove to Everglades City south of Naples, where the mesquotos eat humans for lunch. A small trailer park lot on a gulf channel was $140,000. Maybe north FLA prices are less but as far as I can see the southern part of FLA will soon be like southern Calfornia. Buy now and save, because prices can olny go up!

Thanks for the input, all -- it's greatly appreciated. I agree with 500 PSI -real estate prices are scary as hell! Any suggestions for an area that's close to good diving with reasonable home prices (say in the $250K range)

Windminstrel:
Thanks for the input, all -- it's greatly appreciated. I agree with 500 PSI -real estate prices are scary as hell! Any suggestions for an area that's close to good diving with reasonable home prices (say in the $250K range)

The houses in Brevard County are still in that range... and the good diving is 90 minutes away.

Bristol CT huh? I lived there when I was a kid - my mom still lives there. I escaped to Hawaii as soon as I could and never looked back. After I was lost at sea for a while, I washed up ashore in Miami Beach. South Beach was a fun place to live for a while after 20 years of Honolulu.
To give you an idea of relative property prices, Tampa traditionally had the most bang for the buck, at least for federal employees who relocated every few years. It's relatively civilized now although to dive there in more than 7 feet of water requires that you to go almost 17,000 miles offshore.
Mr. Lighthouse Pointman is correct in that programming jobs in southern Florida especially have slowed down immensely. They are there, but so are scores of highly-qualified people looking for them.
Florida land prices are really skyrocketing all across the state. A lot in Panama City Beach that was $25K three years ago is now listed at $125K. Boca Raton real estate seems to double about every 4 to 5 years now.
Brevard county is still affordable, but even there the upward spiral in the desirable areas is starting. It's all about finally figuring out where you want to live and then making it work for you.
Although ESPN moved there to Bristol after I was gone, I got a kick about what one of the guys there had to say about Bristol - that the best view of it was in your rearview mirror as you were leaving. What's the rush to leave Bristol for better diving when you have Cedar Lake there anyway?

Another comment on programming jobs, my folks live just sounth of Daytona and their neighbor (a FL native) is uprooting his family and moving to Atlanta. He's an out of work programmer who's been hunting for over a year since being laid-off from Lucent.

Don't mean to sound all gloomy but SO many people move to FL (me included) and too late, find the salaries vs. the cost of living to be a bit too much.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom