So, who carries a pocket mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwerb

Hoser/English Translator, eh
Reaction score
One of the things in the rescue diver/first responder/MFA course which really hit home to me was the great practicality and usefulness of a pocket mask for rescue situations. So my question is, how many of you actually carry one? Is this something which is a good idea to slip into a BC pocket or is this something which is totally useless except in the 1 in a 1000 chance you might need it. Inquiring minds want to know.

I don't have one on me when diving but I keep one in my dive bag on the boat and/or handy when local diving.

Dont leave home without it!!!!

We were in about 40 ft of water , Low Vis, 3-4 ft, 45deg farh. when i noticed airbubbles coming from the corner of my ocean master mask i gave the mask a little twist to see if that would solve the problem...... :eek:hno: NOPE. the left lens popped out an i got a sudden rush of cold water across my face, i closed my eyes and thought ah CRAP.Luckily for me, my buddy :saver: was looking at me doing this and was able to catch the lens before it went bottom of the lake, he grabbed my bc and we acsended, did our stop and then continued to the surface. i now carry a oceanic SHADOW in my BC pocket at all times, nice mask(frameless) compact.

It could have been worse i know, but i know that if things start to go bad, stop, think, and then act :idea:

reason number #255 for not diving solo

:confused: tough to read a depth gauge with no mask on your face?

Scuaddawg

I do and dive with it - what you going to do with it if you're on the water and your buddy is in trouble and the mask is in the car?

OK you can still rescue but you've made life a bit more difficult for yourself....

I really like my new one - thanks Thomas (aka TJO)

Jonathan

I think this thread got twisted a bit. A pocket mask is a device placed over a non-breathing victims nose and mouth at the surface, and may be used to assist in rescue breathing, as well as protecting the rescue provider from disease etc. Some units come equipped with proper fittings that will allow you - once on the boat or shore - to attach a continuous flow O2 bottle.

In answer to the original post - since the day I signed up for my rescue class 2 years ago I have never dove once without one. It has it's own holder and everything is completely water safe. In turn I place it in one of the large zippered pouches in my BC along with a pair of latex gloves. Although I replace mine once a year to ensure the quality of all components. DAN provides these masks among others.

As for carrying a spare anything such as an additional mask for diving purposes - I carry a mini-LDS in my Akona dive bag. I can just about suit a second diver from head to toe. I do not dive with a spare mask.

I dive with a spare mask too! Both are part of my standard kit.

Jonathan

Scubaddawg once bubbled...
Dont leave home without it!!!!

<snip>

Scuaddawg

This is a very interesting story but that wasn't really the question. A pocket mask is a sort of plastic cap that goes over the mouth and nose of an unconscious diver to make artificial respiration easier in the water, especially if the water is rough.

I think you're talking about carrying a backup diving mask.

R..

I always bring a face-shield with my. On rescue mask in my
bag, and a small face shield (LifeKey) in mey key holder. I think
the main reason for these devices are to make people willing to
do CPR... Many (most) hesitate in a real situation. Body fluids,
blood... makes it much more difficult than CPR on the manikins
one use in the rescue course. (I sell all the stuff btw).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom