so worry about DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do not need to wait!! Do what comes naturally and don't worry.

There's no waiting period after diving before trying to become pregnant, but if you are trying, you probably shouldn't be diving. The data on the risk to pregnancy of spending time underwater is far from consistent or compelling, but most authorities recommend that one should not dive while pregnant.

TS&M, how pregnant? Aren't there many women diving in very early stages, unaware and babies are unharmed? Are all women playing fast and loose with birth control or deliberately trying, to stay out of diving until after birth?

TS&M, how pregnant? Aren't there many women diving in very early stages, unaware and babies are unharmed? Are all women playing fast and loose with birth control or deliberately trying, to stay out of diving until after birth?

Dear chillyin,

Thanks for your reply.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2014 at 09:20 AM ----------

There's no waiting period after diving before trying to become pregnant, but if you are trying, you probably shouldn't be diving. The data on the risk to pregnancy of spending time underwater is far from consistent or compelling, but most authorities recommend that one should not dive while pregnant.

Dear TSandM,

Thanks very much for your reply.Do you mean, I can try to be pregnant any time right now after diving, but once I am pregnant, suggest I do not go to dive?

For this "The data on the risk to pregnancy of spending time underwater is far from consistent or compelling", how to understand it?

I hope TS&M means you can dive now but after you know you are pregnant then you should stop.

I believe that statement means that there isn't enough information one way or the other. And since we always want to ensure the health of the baby, recommend don't dive during pregnancy, just to be sure.

I hope TS&M means you can dive now but after you know you are pregnant then you should stop.

I believe that statement means that there isn't enough information one way or the other. And since we always want to ensure the health of the baby, recommend don't dive during pregnancy, just to be sure.

Dear chillyin,

Thanks for your reply, I am quite appreciated it.

---------- Post added May 7th, 2014 at 10:30 AM ----------

One more question which I just curious,

Are there certain amount nitrogen inside our body or organ everytime even though we are not in water but in the earth's surface, the concentration inside our organ is same to the atmosphere? or all the nitrogen will go away without any inside out body after we dive from the water?

kloallan, the air we breathe is 21% oxygen and 79% nitrogen. Our bodies are in equilibrium with that gas, so yes, we always have nitrogen in our bodies. That's why astronauts can get DCS from going up to where the ambient pressure is much lower than sea level.

What happens in diving is that we get MORE nitrogen than normal, and it has to come back out to bring us back to equilibrium with air. I am sadly disappointed that this process was not made clear to you during your certification class, because it should have been.

kloallan, the air we breathe is 21% oxygen and 79% nitrogen. Our bodies are in equilibrium with that gas, so yes, we always have nitrogen in our bodies. That's why astronauts can get DCS from going up to where the ambient pressure is much lower than sea level.

What happens in diving is that we get MORE nitrogen than normal, and it has to come back out to bring us back to equilibrium with air. I am sadly disappointed that this process was not made clear to you during your certification class, because it should have been.

Dear Dear TSandM,

Thanks very much for your reply, I am more clearly now.

By the way, as you mention, when we go to the surface after diving, the concentration of nitrogen inside body will drop to normal as atmosphere, but the off-gas is base on half-time of the gas, for instance, the amount of nitrogen is 100%, 50%, 25%, 12.5%,6.25%.......but, it just close to zero but never equal to concentration of atmosphere——I am not sure my understand is right? or the concentration of nitrogen inside body when with are in the atmosphere is floating aways, sometime a little higer or lower than in surface of the earth, for instance, when we go to floor 30th, as the pressure of atmosphere drop a litter, the concentration of nitrogen will drop?

Please excuse my curious questions.

Thanks very much.

Have a nice day.

I think at least two of my three children were conceived on dive vacations... I think one possible symptom of increased inert gas absorption is friskiness... :eyebrow:

Mrs. Stoo v1.0 dove when she was 6 months pregnant with #1 son. (We won a trip to Grand Cayman and weren't going to pass that up...) We limited her diving to 25 feet or so. Since #1 is the most normal of the three kids, I've concluded that diving, for us, was no biggie.

With regard to the OP's question of "diagnosing" DCS, as our learned medical member pointed out, the determination of DCS is largely based on an assessment of the symptoms presenting. One tool which is commonly used post-dive is a Doppler stethoscope or similar unit to listen for bubbles moving around in the blood. Even an asymptomatic diver with have audible venous gas moving about, but the amount and intensity of the sound produced can be used as a guide in determining the likelihood of a DCS occurrence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom