So you have $3500 to spend on BC, Reg and Dive Comp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cardinal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I hope this is right place to post this - if not, please feel free to move it. Similarly, if it has already been asked, delete it. I take no offence.

Background:-
I am not interested in buying cheap gear, not because I believe that it is of a lower quality or won't work correctly, but because I have always lived on the rule "You get what you pay for, therefore buy it well, look after it - and it shall last you a long time". So lets say, for example you have saved your cash, the money is there burning a hole in the pocket, and you are now ready to go shopping for some cool stuff.

You have the wetsuit, mask, fins, snorkel etc...and now you are going for the expensive equipment - The BCD, Reg and Octo & Dive Computer/ Console.

What would you go for? It's got to last, it's got to be comfortable (I know this is a strictly personal thing entirely, but thoughts on this are appreciated as I am sure a lot of you have first hand experience of some either seriously un-comfortable or very comfortable gear), and it's got to be cold water capable – I live in Canada – enough said.

I am very much interested in what the knowledge base of this board (and from the reading I have been doing, this is quite considerable) has to say on this.

C

For $3500??? Anything you want.

If it were me:
DSS single tank rig
www.deepseasupply.com

Atomic or ScubaPro or Aqualung's top of the line regs

Computer? Depends if you want fancy wireless air integrated or not. Personally, I wouldn't. I'm pretty happy with the simple nitrox wrist computer I have, so I'd put the change in the bank :wink:

Suunto is expensive if you want to spend a lot on a computer. Personally, I like the bigger displays on Aeris, etc as well as the ability to set it liberal or conservative.

My guess is you'd be much better served to do some research in the threads on this board to figure out in general what you want (BP/W or BC?), (air integrated or not?), etc. Then you can ask specific questions. The odds of this thread coming to a consensus on the best package are slim to none.

Cheers :D

PS - Your real expense is going to be a drysuit in Canada. It could easily cost as much as everything else if you go with a brand new custom DUI with bells and whistles.

Many Thanks for this. I am not trying to get a definitive "You should buy this !!!" Just looking for a rough idea what you (diving fanatics and knowledgeable people) would buy for yourselves considering the cold weather criteria and budget.

As you said - no consensus required - just information - like as you said, Aeris has bigger displays, Suunto is more expensive etc...

Thanks Again

What kind of diving?

I saw double LP85s, highland bands, DR Classic wing/BP, Poseidon regs and a Hoseless computer, from brand escapes me right now, for $3195 the other day.

If you're looking for rec gear you ought to be able to get a drysuit along with it for that kind of moola,

cardinal:
I am not interested in buying cheap gear, not because I believe that it is of a lower quality or won't work correctly, but because I have always lived on the rule "You get what you pay for, therefore buy it well, look after it - and it shall last you a long time". So lets say, for example you have saved your cash, the money is there burning a hole in the pocket, and you are now ready to go shopping for some cool stuff.

I would spend $2000 of that $3500 getting the absolute best equipment on the market, then I would spend the other $1500 throwing one of the best BBQ parties ever thrown for your best friends. Really that simple.

In scuba, you can spend $2000 on the best stuff, or spend $3500 on the same stuff. Your choice. Now days, divers have choices. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Reg: Mares V32 Proton Ice Extreme
BC: Zeagle Ranger LTD (can't comment on BP/W)

I've got a regular Ranger and the warm water version of the reg (V32/Proton XL) and I'm very happy with both, they work great and look cool.

No ideas on computers, but you've got at least 2K left, so you should be able to come up with something.

What about your drysuit?

cardinal:
I hope this is right place to post this - if not, please feel free to move it. Similarly, if it has already been asked, delete it. I take no offence.

You have the wetsuit, mask, fins, snorkel etc...and now you are going for the expensive equipment - The BCD, Reg and Octo & Dive Computer/ Console.

What would you go for? It's got to last, it's got to be comfortable (I know this is a strictly personal thing entirely, but thoughts on this are appreciated as I am sure a lot of you have first hand experience of some either seriously un-comfortable or very comfortable gear), and it's got to be cold water capable – I live in Canada – enough said.

I am very much interested in what the knowledge base of this board (and from the reading I have been doing, this is quite considerable) has to say on this.

C

I think I know just the LDS for you.......

Look,

A BCD should cost max about $650

A reg should cost about $500

and a computer about $300

The other 1600 should be my tip for writing this. We'll split it 50/50.... PM me for my address.

R..

Diver0001:
The other 1600 should be my tip for writing this. We'll split it 50/50.... PM me for my address.

R..

I think the drysuit is a better option, I can get you into one for 1000 and we'll split the rest me 40/60 you....And no overseas mail!

Well, here's my take on it:

BC: DSS stainless plate, their single-tank wing, and a Halcyon doubles wing (size depending on what doubles you want to use) ~$445+355=800

Regs: Two Apeks XTX 200s No online pricing on this.

Computer: I like wrist mount, so a Vytec w/ transmitter

Thats going to be somewhere around $2300 give or take, I'm just guessing on the prices on the regs and comp.

To that I would add an 18w HID can light and a drysuit with good undies.

The kind of diving is a good question.....not sure – I am too early in my diving "career" so to speak - so would like equipment to be flexible in it's uses.

For example - I was looking at Oceanic or Aqualung for both the BCD and Regs as I like the idea of commonality in OEM's for this kind of gear (or am I talking rubbish?). Leaning towards Oceanics Delta 4 and Outrigger as it what I have dived with – not sure if an octo comes with this set up or if it is extra. Having been looking around the forums, not sure about AL – not because of the gear though - other issues entirely.

Dry suits I have no idea on at all - not sure even what I should be looking at there, and perhaps that is another question entirely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom