SoCal Dive Safari - San Diego to Big Sur Info Req.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My mom is in town from South Africa and I'm planning a road trip up the PCH from San Diego to Big Sur in Monterey. Killing two birds with one stone, I would like to do two shore dives a day, in different locations along the coast. Can anyone give me some ideas of dive locations and descriptions. I intent to rent a SUV and drive up. Leaving 11/18 (three days up), and returning on 11/21 (one day back).

Oh, if anyone wants to meet up for a dive, you are welcome, I need a dive buddies for this trip........

Current Dive/Travel Plan (Preliminary)

Malibu (11/18)
* Point Dume Pinnacles (May meet Scott for this dive)
Santa Barbara (11/18)
* Mesa Lane
San Luis Obispo
# Hearstcastle (Afternoon Tour - 3:20 PM)
San Simeon (11/19)
* Lovers Point
* Monastary (May meet Mech --> Andy for this dive)
* San Carlos Beach
Monterey (11/20)
# Monterey Bay Aquarium
Laguna (11/21 meet with Wrinkless dive crue)
* Heisler Park

Note: Bold indicates overnight cities:
* Dive Sites
# Attractions

ryanarcher:
What is your mom going to do while you are diving up and down the coast?

Well, it will be a scenic drive. During the 30-50min of dive time, she can keep herself entertained, she's good at that.

On your way past Laguna on the 21st you can drop by and do a dive or two at the Wrinkles bash! I'm sure that your mom will be entertained by the cast of characters and get a feel for the flavor of SoCal. Also, Laguna is a great place to wander around if she is so inclined.

Christian

headhunter:
On your way past Laguna on the 21st you can drop by and do a dive or two at the Wrinkles bash! I'm sure that your mom will be entertained by the cast of characters and get a feel for the flavor of SoCal. Also, Laguna is a great place to wander around if she is so inclined.

Christian

Not a bad idea, may just do that on the way back. That way I can return Ann-Marie's computer. She's so nice.

That sounds like a great trip!

Since I’m not very familiar with dive sites south of Carmel, I’ll leave that to others. Although there are many dive sites in the Monterey area, three are coming to mind (and not necessarily in this order):
1) Monastery Beach, Carmel – Although Monastery has easy parking along Hwy 1 just south of Carmel, this is by no means an easy dive location. It offers fantastic kelp forests, rock formations, deep waters, and loads of animal life. Keep in mind, Monastery is not for beginners! If you select this as one of your sites, PLEASE seek the guidance of a qualified/experienced local;
2) Lovers Cove, Pacific Grove – Lovers Cove has a substantial rock formation that offers protection from some weather events. This site is suitable for beginners and intermediate divers, and offers great kelp forests, night diving, a huge array of animal/kelp life, etc.
3) San Carlos Beach (Breakwater/Coast Guard Pier), Monterey – This is arguably the most popular dive site on the Monterey Peninsula, and is equally loaded with animal-life for your diving pleasure. Also, San Carlos Beach is commonly used by instructors for OW and rescue training courses. (I recommend it for acclimation purposes.)

Knowing what I know about the area, I recommend Dive 1 at San Carlos Beach, Monterey (for acclimation purposes); and, Dive 2 at Lovers Cove, Pacific Grove. Weather and conditions permitting, of course. I’m sure you’re aware, but weather can quickly change Monterey dive conditions – don’t be caught off-guard. (Again, I’m sure you know that, but I feel compelled to put it in writing.)

Although there are more, here are two dive shops adjacent to San Carlos Beach:
Monterey Bay Dive Center: (http://www.montereyscubadiving.com/)
Manta Ray: (http://www.mantaraydive.com/)
Both shops have excellent reputations, reputable staff, good gear/air, etc.

As DiveBuddySean mentioned, be sure to check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium (www.mbayaq.org) 10AM – 6PM daily!

If you’d like more detailed information on the Monterey area, Monterey Bay Aquarium, etc., please PM your email address with specific questions, and I’ll gladly do what I can to help.

If I did not already have plans to be out-of-town, I’ll gladly dive with you!

Cheers, Jeff

MontereyCADiver:
That sounds like a great trip!

Monastery is not for beginners! If you select this as one of your sites, PLEASE seek the guidance of a qualified/experienced local;

Cheers, Jeff

Jeff, great overview on the dive sites, thanks. I might use this info myself if I drive up north someday. Totally out of curiosity, what it is about Monastery that makes it not for beginners?

Update: I just read the shore-diving report, it looks like its advanced because of the potential for very difficult entry/exit due to pounding waves/surf.

http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalN/Monastery_North/

I found this on the web:

"Monastery is arguably Monterey County's best beach dive. But seven days out of ten, it's advanced diving. Two days out of ten, it's undivable. One day out of ten it's the upper end of intermediate diving. It's NEVER a beginner's beach. Don't dive it without someone who knows it. Entry and exit require special techniques. Conditions can change quickly. Also there are some very big dragon monsters underwater that will gobble you up"

(just kidding about the dragon monsters. They don't bite)

I can help you on Santa Barbara area.

Mesa Lane is the best shore dive around this area. Even when other places around get poor 2' vis, you can still get a good 10+ feet. Tons of things to see and it is very three dimensional. Only problem is that darn 150-step stairway. You have to walk full gear down and full gear + water (+ maybe a few bugs *hint*: ) up that 150 steps. No facilities. But since it is really close to downtown (2 miles at most), most likely very close to where you will be staying, you can go back and rinse off. Here is the direction: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/USA_West/CalM/Mesa_Lane/index.htm

Second dive site I would recommend is Tajigas, which is two miles north from Refugio State beach, or 20 miles from downtown. Very easy access. There is a thick kelp bed at the west end of the beach. Bring your dive light even during the day. And don't go if you are not comfortable with kelp diving. Lots of fish to see. No facilites. Drive on HW101N, after passed the Refugio state beach exit, make a (legal) U turn when possible. Drive about 50 yards on 101S, and you will see an open dirt ground, where you can park your car at. Back up your car all the way to the end and you will see the path to the beach.

Others, Refugio beach, Goleta beach, campus point... you can look them up at www.shorediving.com to get the idea.

Tank fill: a few on downtown SB side street, one of them is
Anacapa Dive Center
22 Anacapa St.,
Santa Barbara, CA
(805) 963-8917

One on old town Goleta
5822 Hollister Ave.
Goleta, CA 93117
Tel. (805) 967-4456

Santa Barbara is a tourist town, so at least you don't need to worry about your mom getting bored.

Back
Top Bottom