Socorro islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been on the Rocio Del Mar now 3 times....The ship will be the largest of all of the ships currently going to the Socorros.

This is not true. As far as I can tell, there are now 5 ships going out to the Revillagigedoes

Solmar V 34.1 meters (112 ft)
Nautilus Explorer 35.4 meters (116 ft)
Sea Escape (Club Cantamar) 33.5 meters (110ft)
Rocia del Mar - 30.44 meters (99.9 ft)
Baja Agressor 39.6 meters (130ft)

So it seems that the Rocia del Mar will be the SMALLEST boat going. I have been to the Revillagigedoes twice on the Nautilus Explorer and loved it both times, but the crossing is 200 miles of water that can be quite rough. The bigger the boat the better, and I really appreciated the Nautilus' flume tank stabilizer.

I've been to the Socorro area six times (which is the area the OP was asking about). All my trips have been on the Solmar V. They have more experience in the Revillagigedos Archipelago than any, if not all those other boats combined. They have been visiting there for over 18 years.

The owners and crew of the Solmar V really know what they are doing. I love that the crew is always the same...Rey, Eric, Geronimo, Luis, Pancho, Aurelio and the rest. The owner is an avid diver and goes out on the boat pretty regularly to make sure nothing slips through the cracks.

One thing you should be looking at is which boats have the proper permits in place to be diving in the areas they visit. The Mexican Navy patrols these waters and if the boats don't have the permits, they get sent home and that means no diving for you. This is happening out at Guadalupe right now.

What ever boat you choose, diving in the Socorro area is world-class and should be on everyone's bucket list. It's why I gotta keep going back. Next trip is in April 2011, of course on the Solmar V.

I've been to the Socorro area six times (which is the area the OP was asking about). All my trips have been on the Solmar V. They have more experience in the Revillagigedos Archipelago than any, if not all those other boats combined. They have been visiting there for over 18 years.

The owners and crew of the Solmar V really know what they are doing. I love that the crew is always the same...Rey, Eric, Geronimo, Luis, Pancho, Aurelio and the rest. The owner is an avid diver and goes out on the boat pretty regularly to make sure nothing slips through the cracks.

One thing you should be looking at is which boats have the proper permits in place to be diving in the areas they visit. The Mexican Navy patrols these waters and if the boats don't have the permits, they get sent home and that means no diving for you. This is happening out at Guadalupe right now.

What ever boat you choose, diving in the Socorro area is world-class and should be on everyone's bucket list. It's why I gotta keep going back. Next trip is in April 2011, of course on the Solmar V.

I could not agree more. The Solmar V has without a doubt the most experienced crew for that area. 18 years is an awful long time and many of the crew have been there since near the beginning. When a crew has that kind of experience, they can read the water, weather, and put the boat where it needs to be to see the most. Any boat can do the Caribbean etc. but my money will always go with experience when it comes to being offshore by several hundred miles. My last trip was in Feb of 2008 and my next one is this January in 2011.

in less than two weeks time I'm planning to be on Solmar for Socorro trip. Anyone else?:):eyebrow:

I'm booked for Jan 14. I have wanted to do this experience for 15 yrs. Any opions on wet suits? As usual, I get cold. I'm getting a WaterProof 5mm full suit & their 5m shorty. I already wear a hood & boots. I don't know if a 7m is necessary (I feel like a stuffed & immobile susage in a 7). Also, I use a full face, talking mask & have a second. I'm doing the trip alone. Any opinions on bring the second for "my unknown new dive buddy"?

I'm booked for Jan 14. I have wanted to do this experience for 15 yrs. Any opions on wet suits? As usual, I get cold. I'm getting a WaterProof 5mm full suit & their 5m shorty. I already wear a hood & boots. I don't know if a 7m is necessary (I feel like a stuffed & immobile susage in a 7). Also, I use a full face, talking mask & have a second. I'm doing the trip alone. Any opinions on bring the second for "my unknown new dive buddy"?

Do yourself a favor. Bring the 7mm suit. I did this trip in 2008, and will be doing it again the week after you. (Jan 26th, 2011)

The water was between 69 and 71 degrees most of the time but went as low as 66 during my late February trip back in 2008. Those 3 to 4 dives per day at those temps add up.

I wore a 7mm full suit, 7mm boots, and a hooded vest that had a 6mm head and 4mm chest. That's 11 mm in the chest. I was fine, but heard others that were chilled at times.

Thx a bunch. In fact today I just bought a WaterProof 7mm suit w/ a 3m shorty that I'll wear over the 7m. I have a good 5m shorty too. I feel like a kid on Xmas eve!
Did you do Solmar V??

I've done the Revillagigedos (Socorro) three times with Nautilus Explorer. Excellent boat.

I wouldn't get too bothered about which boat, to be honest. Just get on a reasonably big one that will be comfortable on the long crossing. The marine life is the star!

I chose the Nautilus Explorer because it was rebreather-friendly, which probably isn't the normal reason people would choose. Aggressor fleet have in the past come out against rebreathers, for example. I do understand that it might not fit their business model and it can require more capital investment.

I second those who adocate a 7mm wetsuit. It's a lot of diving and I always wish I'd brought one - by the end of the week I'm normally a bit chilly, particularly hanging motionless and bubbleless watching the hammerheads swirl by...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom