Soil Sampling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is your objective?
LOL, I'm guessing from his user name that he's a kid, so his "objective" might be justifying his fascination with scuba diving to whomever is footing the bills! For a teenager still in school, a great strategy is to focus on the educational benefits (I speak from experience, having listened to the justifications of three kids needing money to finance their activities).

Having said that, I don't doubt he's a science-y type and really is interested in the marine biology aspects of diving. Who knows--we may have the opportunity to help encourage a budding pioneer in some future marine biological research.

Actually Quero, you are right, it is both justifying the bill to myself (yes I am footing the bill lol!) and satisfying a curiosity. One of the things I have on my list of possible majors is that of Marine Biology. Since I intend to become a lawyer, specifically IP/Patent Law, I need a science major (For becoming a regular ambulance chaser you can major in toilette cleaning if you so desire...) Chemistry tends to be my speed (who doesn't like to 'accidentally' mix too much of a substance with another, resulting in a small boom :).. jk) but Biology is still fascinating.. Science is my speed, but I seem to be better at arguing with people then telling you how many paramecium are in a specimen.. lol

The terms soil and sediment may both be correct for sampling substrate depending on the circumstances.

Last edited:
A bit off topic but...back in the days of sail they would cast a weighted line to get a depth soundings. The weight would have wax (or something) on the bottom and they would make a note of whatever came up in it as an indication of the bottom composition. Good to know when anchoring with out an engine, eh? Maybe you can find maps with this info on them (antique or modern)?

Still not clear on what you're going to do with this info (& curious). I wonder whether collecting & cataloging some samples might not be more usefull than just logging your observations.

Last vaguely related thought...I know the guy who did the bottom/soil analysis for the Glomar Explorer recovery of the Soviet K-129 sub. The recovery was only recently declassified. For years he would drop hints about it, wishing he could say more. I mention it as an example of where you could go with an interest in marine soil analysis.

I've taken loads of sediment samples for other researchers that look into them to see what animals they find (one group even found the world's larges virus in a sample I took for them - link: BBC News - Ocean trawl reveals 'megavirus'). Usually I just use plastic bottles as they are the easiest to manipulate underwater (I've even used and old coke bottle in a pinch). Since you're just using them for keepsake and to see the different sediment types I'd suggest storing the sediment in small ziploc bags. Manipulating ziplocs UW is a PITA so take the samples in bottles. Then dry the sediment out and store it in a ziploc (it'll get less smelly if it's dry) and transfer them to the baggies on the surface. Another tip: take the bottle down open (make sure to fill it with seawater as soon as you're in the water) with the lid in a game bag and seal it once you have the sample. Air in the bottle makes them very floaty and they can get a way from you all too easily. When you bringing an open bottle of sand to the surface the turbulence usually washes the top 1/3 or so out of it, hence put the top back on and pop the bottle back into the bag. Also if you're taking multiple samples it makes it easy to tell which ones are empty (no lid and they float more) without fiddling around in the bag.

Good luck and have fun

Back
Top Bottom