Sola Tech 600 vs 1200 Dive Lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RVBldr

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm considering picking up one of the Sola lights for a primary (use a DRIS 1000 as a backup), so I'm trying to figure out which way to go. I don't see many reviews on the Tech 600 light but have seen feedback on the 1200 Dive light. I'm not that interested in going with a can light and wanted to keep things simple. The Tech 600 seems to have much better battery life and is slightly brighter in spot mode. The 1200 has decent battery life when in medium or low power settings, doesn't throw out as much light in spot, but does have a flood mode. I primarily dive the Puget Sound area but from time to time head to warmer climates and blue water. Any feedback on these two?

I think sola model even 1200 is poor choice for West coast water as primary. They are good video or focus light tho.

I would not use a Sola as a primary, the spot is not bright enough and flood light isn't great for anything very far away. And that is why it makes a great video light!

My dive buddy/wife "thinks" she wants one as a primary but has not tried it yet. I have a UWLD LED converted MR11 waiting for her once she understands and sees the differences between them.:wink:

She's so spoiled!!!:D

I have not tried the "tech" light. I do own the 1200 video lights though. As far as a primary, eh. It works, but not ideal. If you want to stay away from can lights, give a good long hard look at the Finn Sub lineup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom