SOLAS tape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slingshot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone know if SOLAS type reflective tape is affected by the pressures encountered by scuba divers? I've got this on my SMB (Carter float) and some of the honeycomb cells in the reflective material look slightly more grey after a few dives. I can't really tell if there is a difference in reflective power. The only similar experience I have is with the cells in magna-doodle type erasable slates. Those slates have metallic particles suspended in a milky solution of some sort, and the cells can leak with time degrading their function. I only mention this because the slates have a similar honeycomb pattern, although the function of this may be totally unrelated to the pattern in reflective tape.

I have solas tape on my halcyon safety sausage and after probably 60-80 dives the tape looks fine.

Maybe different manufacturers use different types of solas tape but I have not had any problems

TT

slingshot:
Does anyone know if SOLAS type reflective tape is affected by the pressures encountered by scuba divers? I've got this on my SMB (Carter float) and some of the honeycomb cells in the reflective material look slightly more grey after a few dives. I can't really tell if there is a difference in reflective power. The only similar experience I have is with the cells in magna-doodle type erasable slates. Those slates have metallic particles suspended in a milky solution of some sort, and the cells can leak with time degrading their function. I only mention this because the slates have a similar honeycomb pattern, although the function of this may be totally unrelated to the pattern in reflective tape.

SOLAS (Safety on Land and Sea) is 3M reflective glass balls overlayed with a clear plastic layer, and sealed in a honeycomb pattern.

The regular 3M reflective doesn't work when wet. The plastic cover greatly reduces the reflectivity, but does allow it to work when wet.

When SOLAS tape is either cut, or sewn some of the honey comb cells will be opened. Cells that are penetrated by sewing will also allow water to enter.

There is an air space under the plastic cover, in every cell. This air space may eventually fill with water. I would expect the water to very slowly migrate from the exposed cells on the edge, or penetrated cells to the cells next to them.

Will all the cells eventually fill with water? I doubt it, and even a little reflective area goes a long way.

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom