Solo Checkout Dives this Sunday...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
Maybe I am and maybe I'm not. I do know that based on my own training and experience that it's not a good sign that he seems nervouse about the environment.

I also have concerns about the SDI solo course in general. I sure don't see what good the instructor will do sitting on shore. He may as well stay home.

First of all I conduct my solo course a little different. Nowhere in the SDI standards does it say we have to sit on a lawn chair watching the bubbles. I get in the water, conduct doff and don excercises and create simulated entanglement scenarios for the student to solve. I also leave time after each skill set to dive solo which I either do myself or watch from shore. Aside from the classroom time there is still at least 2 dives I need to be in the water with the students.
It's easy to imagine the solo course as being a total joke if you don't know the sylabus. Please take a minute to read the course standards http://www.tdicanada.com/courses/sdi/solo.pdf
and then I would be happy to have an informed discussion with you about this.

MikeFerrara:
You're doing solo training check out dives in an unfamiliar environment?

by myself

I've been in that quarry more than 100 times. It's getting to the point where I could navigate by the silt. I've just never been down there by myself.

The instructor's take on the whole class is, "I'm not teaching you anything. I'm just there to make sure you're really good at what you already should know."

Doff-and-don, mask, blahblahblah was all done in the pool and, despite the "god help you" attitude I assure you the instructor is an incredibly good one. My word choice of "chilling" was a little tounge in cheek I didn't mean to imply that while he's watching bubbles that he's just going to be tossing back Coors 16 ouncers and getting a tan.

saying:
The instructor's take on the whole class is, "I'm not teaching you anything. I'm just there to make sure you're really good at what you already should know."

Doff-and-don, mask, blahblahblah was all done in the pool and, despite the "god help you" attitude I assure you the instructor is an incredibly good one.

Having had the displeasure of first hand experience with a really good "decorated" useless instructor, may I suggest next time to take a course from someone who "does" have something to teach you. Credit is due for honesty, however. A valuable commodity often in short supply, specially with the worst. Regardless of one's level of experience, there are always others doing things differently, possesing different knowledge and experiences from which to learn. Of course, this presupposes an attempt to assess the student and pass relevant knowledge on to him/her.

Will the instructor do any in water dives with you?

I read the course outline referenced by wedivebc, and it states under "Course Structure and Duration":

"Two dives are required with complete briefs and debriefs by the instructor"

Two dives by who'm? Brief and debrief is required by instructor of student. Evaluation of some of the skills required of the student (carrying and using redundant air supply, etc) in the course outline can only be done by the instructor diving. Your instructor appears to be interpreting skill evaluation requisite as being adequately covered in pool.

Do you want to learn new things, practice under supervision, or just get a Solo C card?

You be the judge. The point is there are a whole bunch of crappy instructors out there, some with fancy titles, teaching little to none.

MikeFerrara:
You're doing solo training check out dives in an unfamiliar environment?

you have absolutely no reason to be at ease, IMO.

And you're payting money for this? What good does he do you there?

Tell you what I'll conduct the check out for you for half the price. Just send me a printout from your computer. A freind is a TDI/SDI IT. I'll have him send me an instructor card and I'll ship you you're solo card.

Now that's earning your pay. LOL

Window dressing.

From the bottom of my heart...may God watch over all you folks who buy in to this utter BS. Especially since the instructor will be chilling in a chair.
easy mike, I know saying and I know the instructor, I also know the location. on any given weekend there are 25 to 50 rescue and tech divers there, that's out of 200 rec divers , he'll be in good hands.

But maybe you can send me my trimix card if you have the time.LOL

Back
Top Bottom