Solo Dive trip to Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Katzgar says "Lighthouse is also closer to San Pedro" which is what he said in an earlier post on this thread and I agreed. Perhaps he did not read his post or my response.

However he completely missed the point. Protected by the reef and the atoll means a smoother ride and going faster when there is chop. Distance is important as that uses fuel. Time and a smoother ride are more important for customer satisfaction.

Regards
Ralph

Going further than you have to is is really not necessary. When you check the map turneffe and lighthouse are closer to San Pedro than they are to Placencia
Lighthouse is also closer to San Pedro
When I was on Calabash we did all our shopping and resupply runs to Placencia because the run time was so much quicker.

Katzgar says "Lighthouse is also closer to San Pedro" which is what he said in an earlier post on this thread and I agreed. Perhaps he did not read his post or my response.

However he completely missed the point. Protected by the reef and the atoll means a smoother ride and going faster when there is chop. Distance is important as that uses fuel. Time and a smoother ride are more important for customer satisfaction.

Regards
Ralph

That's a good point about the chop. My wife and I did three trips to the Blue Hole from Turneffe Island Lodge/Resort over our two stays there. All three times, the boat captain took us north through the atolls as far as he could before we headed out to sea to avoid the chop as much as possible. It made a big difference even in their 42-foot Newton.

Turn off a and Lighthouse are both out to sea from The Reef, this is easily seen on gmaps. Turneffe and Lighthouse are both between San Pedro and Placencia but closer to San Pedro this is easily seen on gmaps

The point is San Pedro is a better dive destination than is Placencia
In my opinion Placencia is miles better than San Pedro for the quality of diving available. But then what do I know I’ve only lived in Belize for 6 months and done 6 further diving expeditions there.

In my opinion Placencia is miles better than San Pedro for the quality of diving available. But then what do I know I’ve only lived in Belize for 6 months and done 6 further diving expeditions there.

Seriously??? Where did you read that on the internet??? According to the Official "Belize Messageboard TROLL", If it ain't "Googleable", it ain't true, you know

BTW, we moved here 6 months ago as well. Obviously, we're in Caye Caulker. You?

I know you're trying to get the business to Placencia. The game several of you guys are playing is pretty obvious but at the end of the day gmaps shows how much closer San Pedro is to the dive destinations then is Placencia. There really isn't an argument here the facts are the facts.

The point is San Pedro is a better dive destination than is Placencia

I'm going to ignore Caye Caulker B's advice just this once. I didn't want to let this go.

Katz, as you surely must know by now I prefer Placencia over AC, the atolls and Hopkins for all the reasons I always state. But when someone looks for advice about diving in Belize, I almost always start with AC, work my way out and down and try to include what I see are the advantages and disadvantages of all of them. It is absolutely true that AC has more of everything like dive ops, restaurants, bars and places to stay, and if that's what someone's looking for it's fine by me. In fact, I appreciate AC because I feel like it leaves the rest of Belize to the rest of us.

As far as a dive destination, if short boat rides are important to you then AC may be a better choice depending on what else ranks high on your list of particulars. I can't imagine the diving itself is all that different given how close Placencia and AC are to each other. After all, it's one big reef. I haven't been to AC but I've stayed on the atoll, which offers the shortest boat rides of all, but I haven't found the atoll diving itself to be drastically different from the diving off Placencia. A wall dive is a wall dive. A turtle is a turtle. A dolphin is a dolphin. etc. In other words it's all good all over.

I would love to have a business interest in Placencia but I don't so I've got no reason to try to "move business" there. I am good friends with Ralph and Patty, the owner/operators of Splash, but Splash was doing quite well before I started diving with them and I'm sure would keep doing well if I stopped. I try to remember to mention our friendship in the interest of full disclosure when I recommend Splash to someone. But I can assure you that I've never been paid one thin dime to say nice things about Splash and/or Placencia. You're just going to have to take it on faith that I really like staying in Placencia and diving with Splash, which is why I return year after year. It just feels like home to me.

Let's face it, Katz, you've brought this on yourself. Whether you mean to or not, your style is always abrasive and often condescending. I'm not at all surprised to see Caye Caulker B's post. If it's not true, well, then prove it. Post a trip report. Talk about a personal experience in Belize. In the several years you've been here I've never seen you post either one. Quit trying to pick fights and instead start posting something constructive.

Divers come here to look for information about Belize or to share information about their experiences there, not to read a bunch of bickering from the likes of us. So I'm done with this subject.

Peace. Over and out.

Last edited:
I've already explained that Ambergris Caye is much much much closer to the reef than Placencia is. I've already explained that Ambergris Caye is closer to the atolls then Placencia is. The vast majority of divers understand this which is why most of them go to AC. I don't like discussing individual trips because they are meaningless. There are too many variables that change from time to time everything from rain runoff to seaweed to time of year make an individual experience pretty unique. If you like a Long Boat Ride Placencia is fine for you.

I've already explained that Ambergris Caye is much much much closer to the reef than Placencia is. I've already explained that Ambergris Caye is closer to the atolls then Placencia is. The vast majority of divers understand this which is why most of them go to AC. I don't like discussing individual trips because they are meaningless. There are too many variables that change from time to time everything from rain runoff to seaweed to time of year make an individual experience pretty unique. If you like a Long Boat Ride Placencia is fine for you.
The long, in time, boat ride is from AC. I dived the Blue Hole once - I got there and back by helicopter - and have never had the inclination to do it again. However, I've done hundreds of dives around Turneffe Atoll, when organising resupplies I would dictate the boat went to Placencia, the saving on fuel costs and time was considerable.

The long, in time, boat ride is from AC. I dived the Blue Hole once - I got there and back by helicopter - and have never had the inclination to do it again. However, I've done hundreds of dives around Turneffe Atoll, when organising resupplies I would dictate the boat went to Placencia, the saving on fuel costs and time was considerable.

The atoll is closer to San Pedro than it is to Placencia this is a reality that isn't in doubt.

Back
Top Bottom