Solo dive - true confessions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PhatD1ver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
okay, I dove last weekend for the first time here in China... i've looked for places near and around Shanghai since I got certified last May, but there isn't anything due to the delta flow surrounding the Shanghai coastline...

That said, I did find a place in southern China near Shenzhen, a little get away called Twin Moons bay, and I just happened to schedule our management retreat for that location last weekend.

I had trouble getting hold of a local dive shop, as it turns out, I found one, but they had moved up the coast in the bay a little to a more active area for weekend customers... the place I was at was more remote, but there was a guy that was providing dive services there, and just a short 300m walk from my hotel...

I texted back and forth with him and as it happens, they had a clean up activity going on Saturday, and about 10 divers participating on a two dive excursion to try and pick up garbage at one of their more popular sites.. he told me the only way I could dive with his company was if I wanted to participate... I figured, what the heck, dive and give back for a sport I've really come to love in the last year.

So, the next morning, we met up, went to the boat and went about a standard dive boat process with everyone boarding, getting signed on, setting up gear, and enjoying meeting each other as we rode the 45 minutes to the island (Little Star Island)... on arrival, everyone got ready, and got wet... i was last since I was diving sidemount, and needed to have the tanks handed down...

As it turned out, I had a couple problems with my bungee not hooking on my valve stems, the stems on this China valve were a little short and my bungees kept popping off and of course the tanks go flopping downward... I got tired of the fight with them, so I swam back to the boat and exited the water... I was a little upset, but sat in the sun sweltering in my suit, and thinking about my set up.... decided to adjust the bottom mounting point angles a little, and get back in the water... by this time, 35 minutes has passed and everyone is coming back either for air or to exit the water for a SI.

At that point, I decide to go back in, so I get some help mounting the bottles, and jump... then try again to work with my bungee....

And now we get to the SOLO part of this.. with the other divers off picking up trash in a general direction from the boat, and the rest boarding, I was basically alone...

I'm thinking to myself... redundant air? check, extra mask? check, lights? check, cutting device? check, and since I was in a site where our max depth (unless you were just stupid and purposely went off out in the BIG BLUE away from shore) was 5m, I said to heck with it and gave a 'Okay' sign and went on down... I am sure some will freak over me not having official training (I'll argue that I've had the same instructor for AOW, EFR, sidemount, and now Rescue, and having read the solo course material, he's covered it all with me multiple times)... anyway, I thought I'd be freaked...

Visibility on the site was 2-3 meters at the bottom, between there and the surface was pretty much washout from the huge storm we had the day before in the bay... anyway, I dropped thru the haze and to the bottom and spent a good 20 minutes just cruising around, messing with my bottles and the bungees, and trying to work that out... then, since I was alone, my trash bag was full, and lunch was on-deck, I headed back to the boat (that I was never more than 100m away from at any point)..

For Dive 2, basically the same, another tweak to my tank set up which gave me a little more stability, and because I was last in, I again was alone.. this time, I headed the direction everyone else did, and about 15 minutes in, two people come out of the haze and we are all sharing bags and picking up garbage... then all of a sudden, I turn my head, and in the 2-3m vis, they are gone! and a few minutes later, another group of three comes out of the haze, and we work together and again, then they are gone... by this time, I'm used to working alone, I'm enjoying the freedom actually, I've exploring and teasing crabs, duking it out with anemone fish who are floating above some of the sickest looking anenome you've ever seen (the fish give you a look like... "hey, it's all I got, but it's mine!! now move on buster"...

So, dive 2 was 44 minutes with about 10 minutes where I was working with some of the other divers....

I have to say, I found the ability to not worry about where my 'buddy' was, or to have to keep up and follow a DM a very nice experience... I'm sure part of that is the fact that I was able to manage my gas and know that I didn't need to worry about hitting 50 bar at any point because if I did, I would have as much or more on the other tank...

Anyway, I'm sure there will be opinions both ways....let me say that for my first time diving with Chinese divers on their home turf, I was impressed with them compared to the ones I've met in places like Thailand and the Philippines... these guys were regular divers, they weren't trying to impress anyone that they had money and could buy the best gear.

And more, they were doing something about the mess that their compatriots make every day... instead of just living with it as a lost cause.. we pulled over 30 nets (about the size of 50 gallon drums) of garbage out of the dive site... and based on what I saw as I went back to the boat, we barely scratched the surface... I'll be going back the next time they invite me to help out... solo or not.

It's all about redundancy and staying well within your comfort zone. I solo dive out of necessity. It's difficult to find other divers that want to spend the day with me scratching around on the bottom looking for old bones.

I confess, I dove the BHB without redundant air!

Then in the Keys on my last dive with a nanny op that insisted in guiding everybody holding hands I ditched the whole bunch and soloed so I could get a photo op. They banned me of course and I do not care and worse I had no redundant aur source save for the surface 20 feet away and do not care.

It is possible that the Florida legislature could introduce a bill permenately banning me.

Oh, I forgot, about a mile offshore a dive boat chased me and wanted to know what boat I was from. Boat? I swam out here. Then they wanted to know where my buddy was and then where was my BC? I tired of the questions and went diving.

I confess I am very bad and I also confess I do not care and I am Catholic so I will just tell a priest.

N

I confess I am very bad and I also confess I do not care and I am Catholic so I will just tell a priest.

That's the spirit.

Although my condolences about the Catholic thing. ;-)

I confess, I dove the BHB without redundant air!

Then they wanted to know where my buddy was

N
Nemrod this is for you

Jesus+dive.png

In Cyprus I have to confess I really don't worry too much about solo in less than 7-10 metres with or without redundant air. OK so I am careful and I won't go near overheads or entanglement risks, I take it easy, keep well within NDL's and keep a close eye on my navigation, but I will happily dive completely solo.

The dive centre I go to is happy for me to dive solo and will supply tanks and weights, so long as I take an SMB, and they know I am not solo certified in any way. They have even suggested I might like to take a tank and go solo if there hasn't been anyone else to dive with. There are two or three other divers they will let dive solo but that is it. None of us are solo qualified, but we are all well known to the owners and have dived many 100's of times each at the club.

In the UK I always have redundant air, either side mounts, manifolded twinset, or a pony. I carry spare cutters, redundant buoyancy, spare lights and mask etc. etc. Yet - none of the dive clubs I dive with allow solo diving at all - go figure !

It is a different kettle of fish if you are diving deep, or in really challenging conditions (I don't count poor vis as particularly challenging) but for 'recreational' shallow boat or shore diving in benign conditions I don't really see the fuss.

I always remember a quote from Mark Powell the very well respected technical instructor who said something like "every diving instructor going in with students is solo diving with an impediment!".

Very true I think - Phil.

I was in a site where our max depth was 5m[/B], I said to heck with it and gave a 'Okay' sign and went on down... I am sure some will freak over me not having official training (I'll argue that I've had the same instructor for AOW, EFR, sidemount, and now Rescue, and having read the solo course material, he's covered it all with me multiple times)... anyway, I thought I'd be freaked...

At that point you probably didn't need a buddy, you just needed to stand up if you ran out of air. I'm not against the whole buddy system, but for low risk events, I don't see whats too bad. I will say that I have gone on a boat where all the other people were teaching classes, and I was by myself, so instead of following around a discover scuba class, I just did my thing and came back to the boat. Although they were never really far from me. It was a crystal clear day with no current at a max dept of 25 feet, where I could swim back to shore.

Did I break a taboo? Yeah probably. Would I go and do a deep dive a press the limits in a overhead environment without a buddy or a support system, yeah probably not.

Solo dive - true confessions ... Did a solo bounce to 135', with my Peregrine giving me a deco stop, until I got up to 35', then back to 5 min SS. Gotta love the adaptability of the Shearwater computer. No scuba cops were informed.

Back
Top Bottom