solo diver course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like most things, "it depends".

If you have a clear idea of what you want to achieve from the course and have an instructor in mind who you are confident will help you get there - then yes, it's a great course.

Even if you don't plan to dive solo, this course is great to teach you self-rescue techniques and helps you to be a better buddy.

My opinion is that if you need a course to instruct you regarding diving solo, you ought not to be diving solo.

That said, one of the more tangible benefits of this course is that without a solo certification card there are quarries and charter boats that will not allow you in the water unless you are buddied up with someone - anyone - which can be alarming. If effect you are forced into an Insta-buddy situation by their standards and criteria.

With this card, in contrast, the quarry operators or charter boat ops are relieved of (some) liability and will allow you to dive as you wish.

If you dive where such restrictions are common, then taking the course makes sense to get around the administrative constraints you might otherwise be forced to deal with.

JMHO. YMMV.

Great course teaches new procedures like switching to your backup mask, using a fully redundant air source (pony bottle), and improved buoyancy control etc etc, suggest you look up the curriculum on the SDI site, for me it was like a pre introduction to Tech. One of the requirements is a min 100 logged dives.

Even if you don't plan to dive solo, this course is great to teach you self-rescue techniques and helps you to be a better buddy.

Ditto.

I took the course and would recommend it.

My opinion is that if you need a course to instruct you regarding diving solo, you ought not to be diving solo.

Why would you say that? Would you also say, "if you need a course to teach you to dive you ought not be diving?"

I am of the opinion adv nitrox/deco procedure certifications is the best route to go for overall knowledge and experience. It certainly encompasses all aspects of the solo cert and beyond...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom