Solo divers' obligations to other divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[*]What are the obligations - if any - a solo diver has towards other divers who happen to be in the water?

Legally none. Morally? Depends if they think they can help or not

[*]Should a solo diver reserve gas or other resources for another OOA or troubled diver? Why or why not?

No. Why should they? Underwater everyone is utterly responsible for their own safety regardless of solo or not.
They choose not to dive with anyone to avoid having to babysit others.

In a way this thread accentuates the great difference between divers.

Unless I'm on a work trip and I just dive with whatever charter can fit me in, my typical dives are from my boat or 1 or 2 local charters that know me.
Diving with the local charters I go solo unless my husband is with me, during the dive I will make a point to stay away from any other divers of the charter, if I see anyone getting close I change directions or speed up or whatever in order to avoid them. I don't like strangers in my dives, don't wish anyone harm I just like my space.
Even diving with my husband or the few friends I have, I'm not a buddy. I'm just not, of course if I see them in trouble I will help, but chances are I won't see them, because I don't look.
Diving off our boat it is impossible to run into another diver, we make a point to not jump in if there are any other divers in the area.

So now I read of solo divers than encounter others with some sort of frequency. To a point that planing for a possible encounter is an actual consideration... to me is just unfathomable.

In all my years diving I have never given any of my air to anyone, I have untangled monofilament from many sea creatures but don't recall ever helping any diver, I can not predict for sure what would I do if a situation presents itself, but I'm certainly don't care to prepare for the possibility of a stranger interrupting my dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom