Solo Diving Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitaly323

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi there! I'm a guy in my mid 30's looking to do a solo dive trip to Bonaire this November. I've searched around for info....it sounds like boat diving can be scarce/difficult to navigate at some resorts? I've logged about 50 dives, so not quite comfortable solo shore diving yet. If anyone has advice on where to stay, who to dive with, or how to meet other solo divers it would be much appreciated!

I'm not sure you mean "solo" diving, which would be diving without a buddy. It sounds like you mean you have no buddy and are looking for one. Right? Solo diving is best done with a redundant gas and more training than you have.

Don't confuse most people's shore diving by themselves/in groups with a lack of boat diving that they choose not to take advantage of.

Just about every dive resort offers 2-3 boat dives per day. If you show up as a single you'll be paired up with someone on the boat - if there's no other single divers, your buddy is the DM - sometimes preferable as they know where everything lives.

What you will find is you will most likely have to pay a single supplement since most drive/dive packages are based on double occupancy.

The way around that is to rent a suitable accommodation, a vehicle and dive with a shop like Dive Friends who have boats at several of their locations including stand alone shops or at 3 of the condo resorts.

One option for you might be Den Laman condos since they have studios and a Dive Friends on-site. Also on Bari Reef - arguably the best shore dive there.

Many of the dive resorts also have walk-in pricing - I'm pretty sure Toucan at the Plaza Resort does.
So does Wannadive at Eden Beach. Maybe they all do?
The Plaza is also the only true all-inclusive although most resorts bundle room/truck/some boat dives/tanks for shore dives. A few include breakfast.

If you find a condo (sometimes called apt) or room you like - they probably have a dive package option with someone. As do most rental houses.
I haven't looked but I've heard quite a few Bonaire properties are on Airbnb now also.

Being single - besides the dive resorts possibly look at Dive Hut in town (diving is elsewhere wth Wannadive) or Coco Palm/Casa Oleander which has smaller units but is across the street from the water. It's also in the quieter Belnem area which is a short drive to town. There you'd want to use Dive Friends at Port Bonaire condos possibly. Or the Buddy Dive shop across the street at Belmar condos - nice property - we've stayed there. I think they have some 1br units.

One other thing of note is that he default vehicle in most dive packages is a 4 door truck so lots of times couples/dive pairs won't mind if you tag along to shore dive. It's not something you want to do by yourself outside of the resorts since the entries are usually very difficult over ironshore/coral rubble and you could be the only one there. None of the dive sites on Bonaire once you leave the resorts have any sort of facilities except where the food truck is that day.

With 50 dives there's almost no dives you can't do. The far north and far south dives are considered Advanced often due to currents. They're marked on any dive site map.

There's kind of a duplication on Bonaire - often boat and shore dives at the same spot. The Hooker is a good example - sort of a rough shore entry or easy drop off the boat and both types divers often meet there. We dove Witches Hut as a boat dive then later in the week parked there.

I've also seen boats at 1000Steps which actually seems like a better idea - 64 stone steps down.

The 26+ dives off Klein Bonaire require a boat - you can't bring gear on the water taxi plus they leave you there - no facilities.

One thing to know about Bonaire is it's really about diving. (or kitesurfing) Most everyone on your plane will be a diver, most people in restaurants, bars etc. And most don't mnd if you tag along. Twice at 2 different resorts while waiting 5 mins. for my buddy I was asked by a passing diver if I wanted to join them. If ypu're remotely sociable you should have no problem finding people to shore dive with.

hth,

^^^ What he said, except he made the shore dive site sound harder then they are ^^^

Hi there! I'm a guy in my mid 30's looking to do a solo dive trip to Bonaire this November. I've searched around for info....it sounds like boat diving can be scarce/difficult to navigate at some resorts? I've logged about 50 dives, so not quite comfortable solo shore diving yet. If anyone has advice on where to stay, who to dive with, or how to meet other solo divers it would be much appreciated!
I will be there Nov 25, and my partner does not dive. I would be happy to meet up for some diving- I got certified in Bonaire, and it is a great place to practice. I actually never went on a boat dive until I had nearly 100 dives! No need in Bonaire. Message me if that is your time frame.

Out of curiosity what led you to choose Bonaire? I love Bonaire for the shore diving. As Diver Steve pointed out there's boat diving, and it's true some people make Bonaire a boat diving destination. Airfare to get there is often quite expensive. Shore diving in quantity helps people otherwise keep costs down and get considerable value for dollar out of the trip. Bonaire's diving is good, with nice reef and benign conditions (e.g.: warm, high viz., often minimal current), but if it were only a boat diving destination (i.e: no shore diving), it wouldn't be near as popular as it is, because several other destinations can compete well in terms of boat diving.

I'm not challenging your choice, just curious about what led to it.

Richard.

Traveling as a single to Bonaire, and finding buddies for shore diving? ... (I don't dive solo).
This is a question that I've given a lot of thought to.

Mitaly323, please post a trip report when you get back, and let us know how this all works out for you.
Have a great trip, and dive safe.

K

I'm not sure you mean "solo" diving, which would be diving without a buddy. It sounds like you mean you have no buddy and are looking for one. Right? Solo diving is best done with a redundant gas and more training than you have.
Sorry about the confusion. Yes, my trip is solo, but I will be looking for a dive buddy so I can take advantage of the shore diving. I understand my training is basic and I live in mountains, so don't get to dive enough. I'm searching for advice from those that have stayed at resorts that have a good social feel for meeting other divers to go out with and just a generally recommended dive operation. Also decent rates for a lone guy looking with a somewhat budget conscious mind

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom