Solo Diving, How about WHY we should not instead of just NO you should not.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johan:
I don't have much to say on this topic. If you dive alone you die alone. We all know what can happen and everyone must take the responsibility that goes with diving.

Even if we're in a crowd, we all die alone. Ain't nobody getting out of here alive.

Stan

I'm new to diving, and from what i've heard, solo diving is pretty dangerous, but also, one reason i would never dive solo is because if something truly amazing happens(and i mean not bad) and you are by yourself, it will be hard to prove it to people, but if you have a buddy, you guys can talk about it and its a memory with a friend of yours

brussellsprouts:
After hyperventilating, take a deep breath, dive, and keep on going. It's amazing how deep you can dive without that constant supply of air. There are no uncontrolled ascents, and there are no fatal embolisms, since the intake of gas was done at the lowest pressure.

Isn't that also the easiest way to pass out without warning?

dive_junkie:
I'm new to diving, and from what i've heard, solo diving is pretty dangerous, but also, one reason i would never dive solo is because if something truly amazing happens(and i mean not bad) and you are by yourself, it will be hard to prove it to people, but if you have a buddy, you guys can talk about it and its a memory with a friend of yours

I would like to see the actual numbers on the increase in risks associated with solo diving. I'll start at DAN.

Stan

serambin:
I would like to see the actual numbers on the increase in risks associated with solo diving. I'll start at DAN.

Stan
Numbers are pretty hard to come by.

1. Even if we knew about every accident, we don't know the denominator in the equation --- the total number of dives solo and total number of dives with buddies.

2. Solo diving risks can be greatly exaggerated simply by counting lost buddies as "solo". In many accidents, the dive starts out as a buddy dive, but then there is either intentional or unintentional separation.

Solo ascents and solo aborts are common in accidents. A typical scenario is the recent Death off Block Island, RI where a diver aborted at 12 minutes into the dive. He apparently had medical problems, but his buddies thought he was just going back up to get something he forgot. "Solo diving accident" or "bad buddy accident" or "medical incident underwater"? Take your pick.

We seem to be going WAY off track on this thread,we should go back and look at the title,the subject seems to invlove those of us who solo dive and why it is such taboo,why is it such a problem if those of us who do feel we are resposible and/or comfortable enohg to do so.We are all aware of the danger and inherint risk, however ,as a working diver and the background and experience of 20 or so years ,I find it not only nessacary from time to time ,but as stated in the thread,it is a mental check to know it is all up to you and your expertise.I do not rebut or condone this practice for everyone,but then again,not everyone can drive a 200mph race car safely either,it is a personal choice as well as a challenge for those of us who do ,and may be a goal for others.For those of us who do ,be safe and enjoy,for thse of you who don't, but may want to,be patient,be sure and most of all,know your limits,your average air consumption,your equipment ,your dive area and anything else that may make you doubt your dive,then........enjoy and be safe!!!!!

i've been solodiving for a while now.

first my reasons for solodiving :

i'm into photography and most of the time my buddies aren't interested in sticking to a spot for 10 minutes to get the shot i want of some tiny little creature, so i don't want to force anyone to endure this.

Sometimes its easier when no-one is around to poke you in the eye or get all hyperexcited or stir up all the sand.

When and how i solodive:

i had 600 + dives before i started solodiving. have gotten experience in different circumstances and got adequate training ( NAUI master diver course )

My self made rules :
1) Stay in visual contact with the boat or the mooring line, or if wreck diving : no swimthru . stay outside at all times.

2) limit depth to well within deco limits i dont go beyond 80 feet
3) dive NITROX ( voodoo gas ) for added safety. tune the nitrox mix for minimum nitrogen load. you're better off limiting your depth ( unless you need to be there for a particular reason ). if you know your depth upfront you can max the oxygen level out to run at your preferred ppo. oxygen is good , nitrogen is bad
4) surface with at LEAST 500 PSI in the tank and go up the mooring line or directly underneath the boat.
5) only solodive on sites where you have done at least 5 buddy dives so you know the orientation and layout. it's easy to get caught in the spur of the moment and violate rule 1.
6) a rule 1 violation is basically a 'lost buddy drill'. look for 1 minute and start spiral upward in a controlled ascent. if you are able to etrieve mooring line or visual on boat continue, if not go all the way to sueface.
7) carry ,at ay point of the day ( whether nightdive or daytime dive doesnt matter ) a flashlight , a surface marker buoy ( get the 8 foot long one ) , a whistle , signalling mirror
8) use your brain ! common sense is most important whether solo diving or not.
9) dive with a dive operator that allows what you are doing and UNDERSTANDS what you are doing and why you are doing it. Explain the rules you will follow and prepare for contingency. Add rules if necessary according to dive operator wishes. Since you stay close to the boat you will see all others return and do their safety stop. then its time for you to terminate the dive as well.
10 be aware at all times of your surroundings. keep an eye out for other divers ( buddy pairs )
11 make sure your gear is in perfect working order ( including the so often overlooked octopus ) and know it inside out. i strap all my gear using bungee cords so i know exactly where to find it if i need it ( even blindly )
12 check and recheck. keep an eye on your gauges and computer. you should check your stuff at least once every two minutes. i keep my computer strapped in a position where i can read all numbers handsfree ( i have an air integrated one on a hose. i strap it with a retractor to my arm. while holding my camera i can look sideways to read the computer. Also, during check and recheck: keep an eye on the boat. maybe it shifts in the current ! if there is a mooring line: the anchor spot on the ocean floor is you reference !

all of the above rules are equally important.

i have now 250 + solo dives. i stll do buddy dive. no problem, but when i have done a site a number of times and have seen special stuff i will re-visit solo.

its fun and you get to see different stuff. If you hang motionless for a while and control breathing ( reduce 'noise' ) the fish will come to you. they grow accustomed to you after couple of minutes. slow motions will not scare them. i can position my camera often inches away fro my subject without scaring it.

I'd back Jonnythan's assessment - if ANYTHING goes wrong, you're on your own. And no one should underestimate the significance of that. Underwater IS a very hostile environment (however comfortable you feel there) and even the toughest person can panic when the unexpected happens there, and panic often leads to bad decisions. As you gain experience and undergo more and more training, you're exposed to all kinds of new situations, and that experience makes you better equipped to handle the real thing when it happens. But until you're very experienced, you'll be playing russian roulette each time you dive solo. If you have a crisis underwater, your buddy is usually just 'detached' from your crisis enough to be more rational than you can be, and can provide assistance more calmly. Of course, your buddy must be competent and someone you can trust - but that's the whole point of buddy diving.

Dive solo if you want, but please, please don't kid yourself that you can handle anything that may happen - imagining it on the surface is entirely different from experiencing it underwater.

Rick Murchison:
Three years ago I lost a friend to drowning in less than six feet of water. We don't know why, because no one was with him to pull him out until after he was dead.
Certainly there are things you can do to improve your chances while diving solo. Redundancy, training, experience, good health.. But the bottom line remains that debilitating events can and do happen. If you have one under water and there's no one there to pull you out, you're dead.
Rick

About three months ago an instructor drowned in a swiming pool that had only four feet of water. There were two instructors and a class of newly trained divers in the pool with him. I wonder why with all those buddies he still died. They don't know why either, yet they were only a few feet away. Maybe we should all learn to be self-effiecient, then we don't have to worry about being saved, we would be able to save ourselves. What a concept that would be, saving yourself!

Because they were not his buddies. They were other divers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom