Solo diving more acceptable in the North East?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knfmn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was curious if anyone had noticed that solo diving seems to be more accepted in the North East (specifically the New England area)? I'm not sure if it's because there are most lobster hunters here or what, but I've noticed that the shops and boats that I've encountered seem to have a much more laid back attitude about solo diving up here. They seem to look at it as being someones own business what they choose to do. Has anyone else noticed this, or is this something I'm making up in my own head?

Kristopher

More accepted, compared to what?

What you're probably noticing is the difference between diving in a place dominated by local divers who dive regularly, as opposed to diving in a place dominated by tourists who dive infrequently.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I have not been diving long but I have met a few local divers that dive solo often.

Florida has it's share of solo divers, 80 degree water, flat calm, swim out to a 15'-25' reef, good solo conditions

I find that it's not the region so much as it is the individual operators. It's hard to find boats that will allow you to solo and there are only a handful of "public" caves in the USA that allow solo divers. Same for lakes and quarries.

Basically the entire industry is hung up on having buddies. It's what is and has been taught forever and the companies that run boats, lakes, and cave sites are also hung up on liability. It's safer for them to make you do what the industry says, so that they have something to hang their hats on if you get hurt.

I don't have a solo card, but can see the advantages of getting one as the card says the "industry" has approved you for solo diving. I would guess I have close to 500 solo dives and frown on most scuba-related cards (other than the basic "C", full cave, trimix, etc.) but have been seriously thinking about how much easier my life could be with a solo card waiting in my wallet the next time I try to dive somewhere the guy taking my money says, "so, where's your buddy?"

I was curious if anyone had noticed that solo diving seems to be more accepted in the North East (specifically the New England area)? I'm not sure if it's because there are most lobster hunters here or what, but I've noticed that the shops and boats that I've encountered seem to have a much more laid back attitude about solo diving up here. They seem to look at it as being someones own business what they choose to do. Has anyone else noticed this, or is this something I'm making up in my own head?

Kristopher

Yes, solo diving is very acceptable in the NE. Including NY and NJ. If and only if you earn it. It is a rite of passage on a boat. First you have to lose the bull**** and prove yourself. I can solo within my range just by letting the captain know, no drama and no macho, nobody cares -just my choice. I wouldn't dare ask solo for a pinnacle dive, that would be totally irresponsible.

My last dives were solo dives on the Atlantic while I sorted out new gear issues. Two dives at 70' for 30 min. -priceless to me. Treat it as a courtesy.

Solo is not regional. Nor is it a big deal if done correctly.

I've done solo dives off of charter boats all over the greater Puget Sound area, Vancouver Island, and Channel Islands. Some of those were staged decompression dives. I've yet to have an operator either ask for a solo card or tell me I couldn't.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I've done solo dives off of charter boats all over the greater Puget Sound area, Vancouver Island, and Channel Islands. Some of those were staged decompression dives. I've yet to have an operator either ask for a solo card or tell me I couldn't.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

"Around here" they want to know something about you first.

I find that it's not the region so much as it is the individual operators. It's hard to find boats that will allow you to solo and there are only a handful of "public" caves in the USA that allow solo divers. Same for lakes and quarries.

I had just noticed in my (admittedly extremely limited) experience of speaking with local charter boat owners and shop owners/workers that it doesn't seem to be a taboo subject. The boat owners commonly allow divers to solo for lobsters and scallops without batting an eye and no-one screams if the subject comes up in the shop. Maybe it is because, as NWGrateful diver pointed out, the local diving seems to be dominated by people who dive locally, often year round, and are solid and comfortable in their skills.

And, No, I do not have any plans on solo diving at any point in the near future. I might begin to consider it after a couple hundred more dives. I just get curious about things and this was one of them.

Kristopher

"Around here" they want to know something about you first.

Around here, I doubt if there's anyone associated with diving that doesn't know something about me ...

... this is not necessarily a good thing ... :depressed:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom