Solo Liveaboard Travel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had great LOB trips as a solo diver. I have to admit that I was not sure how it would turn out, but once you are on the boat and making introductions and swapping dive stories the rest is history.

I'm mostly a solo diver and I've never really given it a thought about being accepted or uncomfortable. It's your vacation, whether you're solo or have a traveling partner, and you should have the most enjoyable trip possible. A liveaboard is a great place to really get to know fellow divers because you're spending a week or more with the group and everyone is talking in "dive speak". The downside is that if you want a cabin to yourself, you'll pay a single penalty (I don't call it a supplement because you're being penalized for traveling by yourself). That could be anywhere from a 50% to double upcharge. So if cost matters, it's an important research point. But, hey, you would have been paying for two, anyway, if your wife was going. Liveaboard cabins are ultra tiny...too tiny for me to share such a small space with a stranger.

I was on five liveaboards during COVID with NO single penalty on three of them and a 25% single penalty on the other two. They needed bodies on the boats. It proves that they don't need to cram the boats to capacity for revenue purposes, because they were able to operate at half or less than half capacity and they're still in business today.

As far as a dive buddy, I always ask the dive guide if I can buddy up with him/her and it's never an issue. They know where all the cool stuff is and I know I'm diving with an expert.

For this thread I think it's important to recognize the distinction between..... "Solo Diver" and " A diver that is traveling solo". If the operation you are considering allows Solo Diving, then problem is solved and most likely you will make friends and end up diving with someone else or at least closeby a group anyway.. Either way, I think you'd benefit from taking SOLO course......if not already taken.

I'm mostly a solo diver and I've never really given it a thought about being accepted or uncomfortable. It's your vacation, whether you're solo or have a traveling partner, and you should have the most enjoyable trip possible. A liveaboard is a great place to really get to know fellow divers because you're spending a week or more with the group and everyone is talking in "dive speak". The downside is that if you want a cabin to yourself, you'll pay a single penalty (I don't call it a supplement because you're being penalized for traveling by yourself). That could be anywhere from a 50% to double upcharge. So if cost matters, it's an important research point. But, hey, you would have been paying for two, anyway, if your wife was going. Liveaboard cabins are ultra tiny...too tiny for me to share such a small space with a stranger.

I was on five liveaboards during COVID with NO single penalty on three of them and a 25% single penalty on the other two. They needed bodies on the boats. It proves that they don't need to cram the boats to capacity for revenue purposes, because they were able to operate at half or less than half capacity and they're still in business today.

As far as a dive buddy, I always ask the dive guide if I can buddy up with him/her and it's never an issue. They know where all the cool stuff is and I know I'm diving with an expert.
I have just started researching which ones have the best "single supplements". As I do want a room to myself.

I can see me reaching out to a dive guide to buddy up. I am glad I have heard so many say that has been a common practice.

For this thread I think it's important to recognize the distinction between..... "Solo Diver" and " A diver that is traveling solo". If the operation you are considering allows Solo Diving, then problem is solved and most likely you will make friends and end up diving with someone else or at least closeby a group anyway.. Either way, I think you'd benefit from taking SOLO course......if not already taken.
I have recently taken a PADI Solo course and got certified for it (it might be called self reliant - can't remember. I would have to go look at my card). I needed it for a training lagoon I go to on occasion to test out equipment and do drills - things that are sometimes hard to find a dive buddy to want to go with you to do. The training lagoon I go to (Jules Undersea Lodge/Lagoon) won't let divers solo without that cert. However, I will say that course didn't really teach me anything that wasn't already covered in my other courses. It was really nothing more than be redundant with all your gear and know how to properly set it up and use the redundant gear. Which my original instructor stressed & covered in my the three certs I got from him. He was a NAUI instructor with a GUE (non-instructor) cave diving background - although he would never have recommend me to solo dive - just redundancy & to keep up periodic drills.

But since my wife has stopped diving, I have not liked trying to keep finding someone on a day boat that I know nothing about to dive with. I have started hiring a DG on the day boats (since they don't allow solo). That I way I at least know the person I am diving with is experienced and hopefully less prone to panic, less likely to not pay attention to their gas levels or do something unsafe.

I haven't seen any liveaboards that allow solo, so I wasn't expecting to dive solo on them. Hence my questions on how easy it is to find someone you are comfortable to dive with on a liveaboard. If all else fails, It is good to know so many people have commented on that most boats seem to provide a DM that you can just follow.

Late to this party, but I'll add I also have done multiple liveaboards solo.
Generally have a great experience and never felt isolated or treated as a third wheel.

The boats I have done usually have two skiffs but otherwise not assigned any particular partner. I just stick around the general group and usually hang around the dive guide during dives. In fact, being one person can be easier to get along with the rest of the passengers because now they only have to like one person not two. :)

Usually end up having a few people to be friendly with. Wives tend to want to adopt people they see as alone. Perhaps your wife does not want to hear that. :) But its in a good way because someone is looking out for you.

Onboard I mingle amongst all but have also had good times with the crew.

All while enjoying awesome diving in a beautiful place

Don’t be afraid to travel solo on live a boards. My gf does not dive any more but encourages me to pursue great diving opportunities. As a group, divers are friendly, positive, and encouraging so sharing a cabin with someone can lead to great friendships during and after the trip. You can buddy with your cabin mate or, if your styles are different, find someone else or buddy with a dm. Regardless you will have a great time. The fish don’t care who you traveled with.

The downside is that if you want a cabin to yourself, you'll pay a single penalty (I don't call it a supplement because you're being penalized for traveling by yourself). That could be anywhere from a 50% to double upcharge. So if cost matters, it's an important research point. But, hey, you would have been paying for two, anyway, if your wife was going. Liveaboard cabins are ultra tiny...too tiny for me to share such a small space with a stranger.

I was on five liveaboards during COVID with NO single penalty on three of them and a 25% single penalty on the other two.
Unless of course the boat isn't full, at which point you may get a single cabin at no additional charge. This happened on my last two LOB trips. Problem with that, since you're not paying the up charge to reserve it, is you may not know until you get there. Recommend you ask the operator a week or two out about pax on board (if it's not clear from their website) and express a desire for a single if they're short on pax. No harm in letting them know what you want.

Thanks all for the replies. That gives me some sense that it is still very feasible to travel solo on a Liveaboard.
I did my first ever LOB solo over the Holidays last year (12/23/2022-1/2/2023) in Raja Ampat. I was on Blue Manta and paid a 10% single supplement for my own cabin (might be 20% now).

It was a wonderful experience and the other divers were super friendly - it was neat meeting folks from all over the world and sharing experiences - came away with lots of info, new perspectives and plenty of new destinations to add to my “must dive” list as well as new friendships.

Traveled single on AquaCat. In private interview with Dive supervisor shared PADI Self Reliant, Deep, Wreck, Rescue, Master cards (only wrote AOW and Deep on registration). Had a wonderful week. Many dives, Dive supervisor gave me a quiet "pools open", and I was invited to go solo.

Back
Top Bottom