Solo tech diving article

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

matt_unique:
"IT'S BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN FADE AWAY BABY...YAR!!!!" Then guzzle a bear and smash the bottle on your head, etc.

--Matt

First post on this thread (and on this forum as a matter of fact), but I'm sure the poster must have meant "guzzle a bottle and smash the bear on your head"

Can't say, I've never managed either...:wink:

Regards,

ClevelandDiver:
It has got to be more exciting than diving the same local wrecks again for $85+ per trip or driving 180 mile round trip to the closest quarry.

Shoot, you have it easy. We go between 5 and 10 hours one way, spend the night in a motel and then usually get blown out. LOL A lot of the wrecks are deepish so we spend a fortune on gas...last time it was planned as a two day trip and I spend someplace around $300 on O2 and Helium. Now without a compressor, just getting gas would be a trick. Then if you don't get blown out...the boat fees...OUCH!. 2 days, my wife and I...a grand$$$ easy IF we even get to dive. And I used to think that was fun.

A close to home dive with a kayake and less then 10,000 pounds in gear sounds better about now. I'd almost settle for a tropical reef but there aren't any around here.

Originally Posted by matt_unique
"IT'S BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN FADE AWAY BABY...YAR!!!!" Then guzzle a bear and smash the bottle on your head, etc.

--Matt

thepurplehammerhead:
First post on this thread (and on this forum as a matter of fact), but I'm sure the poster must have meant "guzzle a bottle and smash the bear on your head"

Can't say, I've never managed either...:wink:

Regards,

I think I'll just guzzle the bottle while you guys screw with the bear.

Isn't there a woman with a sore tooth somewhere...?

Greetings to all:

I first stumbled on the SB site about 6 months ago, when researching the pro's and con's of solo diving. It was interesting how strong the opinions were. Doesn't seem to be to many in the middle ground. I just decided to join today, so I could access this forum. (Careful what you wish for) :wink:

I have only been diving for a year, but took and exceptional liking to it, and the peacefulness of it all. I have advanced pretty fast through training, practice and fun dives. Although I do dive with my wife, and dive buddies, I enjoy the peacefulness of diving alone. No need to worry about others, etc.

I do not condone flaunting or encouraging solo diving with new, or untrained and unprepared divers. I find area where there are no other divers (increasing my risks in an effort to keep from encouraging others). Similarly Tec Diving beyond 130 ft is not taught to new divers or those not willing or ready either.

That is not to say, I disregard safety. I too have dive buddies that have endangered me during the learning process, before I learned to be responsible for myself and not "trust" others to be responsible for me. However, let's face it...in an entanglement hazard, deco requirement, etc. when (at the same time) an unexpected problem occurs (say a catastrophic valve or manifold failure) when you then find yourself low on air, or a physical problem developes beyond your control, it is obviously nice to have a buddy handy.

I have read the numerous threads and arguments that state buddies make diving more dangerous, and the ones that say buddies are the only way to go. I have read the many requests for "permission" from the dive community from would be solo divers. I think most agree there is a little truth to each side depending on circumstances and people. Bottom line...it is an individuals choice as is regular diving, and should be respected just the same.

I value the stories, whether I agree to them or not. I read numerous books on tech diving, wreck diving, accident logs and stories, DAN reports, etc. so I can learn from others mistakes. Although I too disagree with the philosophy of no buddy being better than having one, I also agree that not diving is safer than diving. I choose to dive and accept the risks and I choose to dive solo accepting the further risks as well. I am however responsible and am trying to obtain the maximum amount of education and experience through others that I can to learn from mistakes that others may have paid the ultimate price by.

Because of that, I appreciate the posts from the originator of this thread even if I too do not agree with his philosophy that you should dive solo to be safer, because I can learn from some of the stories regardless of whether I "buy" the whole thing.

It is a shame these threads degrade to what they do, because people do not like others opinions.

As a new member, I hope to find some more positive information on the subject as this forum was likely originally intended to be as such.

Any direction to more (preferably positive) forums or threads on Solo Diving, would be greatly appreciated. I have done some preliminary searches, but am not yet completely familiar with the site.

Thanks,

-Steve

PS. What ever happend to the beer drinking, solo diving bear with the big tits? :D

Solitude Diver:
PS. What ever happend to the beer drinking, solo diving bear with the big tits? :D

He's been busy since he started up TDI. :D

Welcome to the forums, Steve. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

I don't think this thread is really indicative of the solo diving discussion as a whole on Scubaboard. Most people seem to recognise that while there may be an extra risk involved, the risk is not unmanageable for divers who are prepared, trained and equipped to deal with it. If you look at it on big lines, the discussion seems to revolve around trying to identify elements of that risk and how people deal with it.

Why don't you tell us a bit about your config, where you dive, places you dive solo and places where you wouldn't.

Cheers,
R..

Diver0001:
He's been busy since he started up TDI. :D

Welcome to the forums, Steve. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

I don't think this thread is really indicative of the solo diving discussion as a whole on Scubaboard. Most people seem to recognise that while there may be an extra risk involved, the risk is not unmanageable for divers who are prepared, trained and equipped to deal with it. If you look at it on big lines, the discussion seems to revolve around trying to identify elements of that risk and how people deal with it.

Why don't you tell us a bit about your config, where you dive, places you dive solo and places where you wouldn't.

Cheers,
R..

Thanks for the welcome.

This board has been a tremendous help in getting various opinions to help in making my own decisions about equipment and philosophies. I am looking in particular for more of the (as you described) “discussions which revolve around trying to identify elements of…risks and how to deal with them”. I pay particular attention to solo diving, and accident forums to help me learn more.

As far as my configuration and (limited) experience, I posted most of that info when asked during the initial sign up for the board. Feel free to check out my bio if interested.

For the most part, I am a beginning tec diver student, divemaster candidate, and soon to be “certified” solo diver. I take classes solely for my own training and experience as I have know desire to work for a dive shop (at least at this time). I have only been diving for 1 year, but have gained a lot of quality education and experience in that short time. I have a mentor who has really taken me under his wing since I was at about 18 dives. I now have close to 125, mostly with twins in drysuit and cold water. 1/2 are over 100' and about 10% are wreck penetration dives over 100'.

Given a choice, I think I prefer solo diving over diving with buddies, except when it’s my wife (in case she’s reading). :wink: I love the solitude, and peacefulness of being alone in the underwater environment. When solo, I have worn my tec set up (twin 130’s and redundant everything), however, I prefer to use a single HP 130 with a pony. Although there is less air, I prefer to have the added feature of having the pony if I run out without knowing it. (Not an option, but it could happen). Plus I do not feel the need to do 2 hr solo dives. If I ever feel the desire to start deeper/longer dives alone, I will likely add a pony to my twins.

At this point my solo comfort zone is shallow dives (under 60 feet). I dive in Puget Sound (cold salt water) with dry suit. I dive in low current times, or areas. I only dive where I have dove with a buddy before, and know the area. I stay away from areas where I know of entanglement hazards. It is all shore dives. I let someone know my dive plan, and when to expect a call from me (I make sure I call before then). If I am going to do any type of configuration testing, or something new, I have my wife sit on shore and we agree on intervals where I surface and acknowledge I am ok. I make sure I leave plenty of air at end of dive (600-800 psi in HP 130cf tank, plus pony) in case of entanglement, etc. I practice drills with fellow techies for self sufficiency.

I believe I am pretty careful, confident, but not too complacent. I take all of the precautions I can. I learn from others (such as on this forum). Also, to be responsible, I do not discus solo diving with newer divers in case they might think it is for everyone and want to try it themselves without proper training and mental attitude. I try not to dive in areas where there may be new students. I am sure instructors would not appreciate it, and it would be a poor role model.

When buddy diving, I like deeper dives (over 100’) and in particular deep wreck penetration dives. I have some deco diving experience, but next year will be my big advance in that area, and on to tri-mix. Hopefully at some point I can take a trip to Mexico or Florida for a full cave course (all levels) to improve my skills, and see some awsome sites that I only get to see in pic's. I understand that PADI is working on an advanced wreck (using deco procedures) penetration program that I am also looking forward to. All of this advanced training makes me feel more comfortable when solo diving in safer environments.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling (you did ask). :D I look forward to further participation on the board. Any suggested readings would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom