Solo trip ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webbah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all - went to the dive expo in Tacoma this weekend and it renewed my want to dive again, badly. I had an accident (non-diving) about 3 years ago and haven't dove since. I only have 25 logged dives - both in warm (Hawaii, Playa Del Carmen) and cold water as I live in the Seattle area. I'm going solo because I'm also treating this as a sabbatical of sorts - both from work and home. Yes, my wife is on board and has blessed the idea.:D

For some reason - the remoteness of Kosrae is calling my name. I considered Palau but have heard it isn't worth it unless you are experienced enough to go deep and drift in fast current. Is Kosrae any different? I know there are less critters there but better coral. I also am considering Yap. Maybe Guam for the ease of diving? Should I count out Palau?But I keep coming back to Kosrae for the solitude. I need some alone thinking time and maybe just read a book and/or do some writing while not diving. I don't want a bar scene or other distractions.

I will get in the water as much as possible here in Seattle before I go to get my buoyancy and breathing comfort as good as I can. Probably do an advanced OW course too. I may want to leave as soon as 6-8 weeks from now. Am I crazy? I have the time (unemployed) and don't want to miss the opportunity while I have it. Can you think of any other dive destinations that would fit my goals if none of the above?

Thanks in advance for any insight or opinions you can give.

Jim

Hi - I traveled alone to Palau on the Ocean Hunter I and it was fantastic. However, I had 100 dives in my log at that point and I would have gotten less out of the trip if I had less than 40-50 dives in the log... I suggest you do some more local dives to refresh and enhance your skills before doing a liveaboard. Getting certified for nitrox, advanced open water, and even rescue are all big plusses but that's a lot to squeeze in...

Diving in the Coral Triangle (Philippines - like Anilao which has easier diving than Palau, Palau, Indonesia...) is not to be missed. Check out these guys for some great trip reports:
Aquablue Dreams
In fact I think they're in the Seattle area so shoot them a line for advice.

Most importantly, freshen up your diving skills and head to the equatorial Pacific!

From what I've heard Kosrae doesn't have the greatest diving, though at least it doesn't have those crazy corners exposed to ocean currents where you hook in. Pete Petersen even says Guam has a better variety of diving than Kosrae. (AVP) That said, if you're looking to combine a few days diving with some time to chill out with a book and maybe take in a land tour, it seems like a good choice.

Along those lines, I would also suggest taking a look at Pohnpei, which is on a Kosrae-level of being off the radar but has more diving variety, and Rota, where a group of 14 divers who showed up from Guam broke every single restaurant and dive operation they walked into since nobody there is prepared for that many customers. Though you can see Guam from Rota, so maybe it won't seem so remote.

Guam is not particularly friendly toward visiting solo Anglophone divers. Weekday boats are normally filled with Korean and Japanese tourists and the dive operation will insist that you arrange for a local buddy or pay for a divemaster. The local Anglophone divers, who skew military, will fill up the boats on the weekend that you can just hop on and be matched up on the boat, but you may not want to have your diving options limited this way. And most of the hotels are in a tourist row next to Planet Hollywood and the Tiffany jewelry shop. Frankly, it doesn't seem like a good fit.

Palau is the big diver destination and some dive sites may have underwater traffic jams. Koror is a busy town (compared regionally) and unless you're dropping a large amount of money for your hotel you'll have trouble finding a spot where you'll be able to sit in quiet next to the ocean. Alternatively, you could find something like Carp Island Resort, but there'll be little to do if you decide you want to wander around. I really liked my battlefield and cultural tour of Peleliu, as well as sitting on the dock every sunset while drinking a cup of tea, but if you're diving off Peleliu then the boat is almost certainly going to dropping divers on Peleliu Corner, which is the most advanced dive I've ever been on. That said, it's really hard for any diver to disregard Palau.

From what I've heard, Chuuk is a decent destination even if you're not particularly interested in wrecks. The wrecks are basically big metal reefs in an protected lagoon and apparently well worth the trip. Also based on hearsay - people say Yap is way more varied than the constant talk about mantas would have you think. Chuuk will have wreck fanatics who have reached the promised land, while Yap will have a more transient population passing through for a few days, checking off manta diving, and moving on to Palau. I don't think either will give you that sense of being REALLY away from it all as Kosrae, or Pohnpei.

You're on the wrong website if you want to be talked down from a dive trip. I've mentally committed to flying to Kauai next month during a work trip in Oahu specifically to pay several hundred dollars for a 3 hour boat ride over rough seas for two dives. The lunatics have taken over this asylum.

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I have all but ruled out Palau due to my inexperience even though I'm going to fit in Advanced OW and Nitrox before I go.

Has anyone else done something like this solo without ever done anything solo before? I am nervous about that part - that I'll be bored. Yes - for whatever reason - solitude is calling my name but maybe that will get old real quick and I don't want to be "stranded" and bored out of my skull! Any insight on that aspect?

Personally, I think it would be foolish to spend the money it takes to get to Micronesia and not dive the absolute best it has to offer, experienced or not. Palau gets lots of new divers and the dive guides are used to it. I went when I had 14 dives and it never felt like it was too much for me too handle. This is how you gain experience anyway.

It's a good idea to do some refresher dives if you can before traveling so you can get the most out of your vacation, but you have the check dive to sort things out as well.

I think traveling solo can be a very rewarding experience and if you feel the urge, do it. If solitude is desired than Palau is still a good place to go even though it can get quite a few tourists. If you stay with Peleliu Divers on Peleliu Island you will be far away from the relatively busy Koror scene. Lots of old bunkers and war artifacts on the island, including a tank in the jungle turned on its side from an explosion.

I have no idea where you have heard that about Palau...I have 100's of dives there and probably had less the 75 dives the first time I went there...I've seen new divers get certified at the Blue Corner. I have probably 6 or 7 trip reports posted on SB and been there 10 or 11 times and was there last month.....In the 11 years I've been diving and 40+ trips I have taken around the world....probably less than 5 times have I ever dove with a group or met a dive buddy somewhere....Go Solo....you can do what you want and you will meet people from all over the world!

If you are nervous get a dive guide for a day....Sams is good at that for a nominal charge they will put DM on the boat for you. If you want solitude stay at the PPR or Carolines Resort. Palau is world class diving...fortunately it is one of the few places left on earth that has not been fished out.

I'm going to palau solo in june and I have only 50 dives. I said screw it, I want to see the best.. you only live once.

over the many years that i have been diving, i have made several solo trips. i always seem to meet the nicest people and get "adopted." prior trips have been to the caribbean, but 2 yrs. ago i went to Raja Ampat on the Paradise Dancer. It was absolutely a WOW trip. i am on this forum now to plan a solo trip to Palau.
my advice --- go for it.
Harvey

I forgot to mention, i went to cocoview resort in Roatan by myself, I went to cayman dive lodge twice by myself. vacation for scuba by yourself is so much better, the only odd thing is dinner time, you sometimes feel a bit odd, but most people accept you in there group no problem at all. You dont need a buddy, just dive with the group and have a tank banger if you need to get someones attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom