Soloing as skin diving with redundancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Solo diving is Legal in Canada.

If you have to ask a bunch of strangers if you are ready to solo dive, chances are pretty good that you arn't.

just rememember, if you are freediving solo, even the smallest entanglement can kill you. that has always been my biggest concern when I go out solo.

On the whole I think solo diving is safer than free diving with a buddy and surface support. Aside from the danger of getting bent or having a lung injury, scuba gear adds a big margin of safety. If I get entangled or caught in a current while solo diving, chances are I've got at least 30 minutes to resolve things. If it happens while free diving I've got maybe 1 minute tops.

asaara:
If you're not necessarily a particularly experienced solo diver, but are just popping down to search for lost rudders and other boat stuff ...where you'd be comfortable doing it as a skin dive but it wouldn't be as efficient (mostly due to vis and weeds), in an area with no current, max. 20' depth or so unless you went a *long* way from where you wanted to be, never more than 50-100' from shore (virtually confined water), and the spot where you're going in the water is private property which you have permission to be on, are there any additional concerns you'd have that you wouldn't if you weren't taking a tank down there with you?...
Watch out for a blue whale:wink:

You know, if you would feel comfortable snorkel diving there, using scuba in these circumstances is a much safer way to go. I just wrote in the snorkel and breathhold area that breathhold diving is much more hazardous than scuba, and the reason is obvious--you've got air. Time and a sharp knife can resolve just about any entanglement situation.

SeaRat

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom