SOMD Diving on Saturday?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The access may be a problem.
Fossil Hunting - A hike of 2 miles is taken from the parking lot, along an unimproved trail to the cliffs/beach area. Over 600 species of fossils have been identified from these cliffs, with the teeth of various species of shark as the most abundant fossils. Visitors may hunt for fossils on the open beach area and keep what they find, but always be mindful that fossils help tell the story of the past. So be sure to leave a piece of the story for other visitors. Because of the constant erosion of the cliffs, access to the cliffs is PROHIBITED.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/calvertcliffs.asp

There does appear to be a road leading close to the shore just North of the cliffs themselves, but no idea if it is public.

Google Maps

So does that mean you are in? :p

I was going to bring a wagon or something to transport my gear from the parkinglot. I have hiked the trail quite a bit, its really not that bad...I think its actually just 1.5 miles but who's counting?

Looks like we are going to make a run at maping on base...will keep you posted on Calvert.

Been there, mostly sand / mud bottom and only 6-8ft for at least 500 yards out. After seeing nothing but mud and sand for that far, I decided to head back. Also, this is really close to the Nuclear Power plant, so be careful when diving. Those yahoo's from the Sheriffs department might mistake you as a terrorist and use that .50 cal they have mounted to the front of their zodiac.

Nate, since you have access to the Navy Rec center, you might be better off trying under and around the Pier there. I have friends that have found and are still finding some pretty cool stuff (to include munitions) there.

The access may be a problem.
Fossil Hunting - A hike of 2 miles is taken from the parking lot, along an unimproved trail to the cliffs/beach area. Over 600 species of fossils have been identified from these cliffs, with the teeth of various species of shark as the most abundant fossils. Visitors may hunt for fossils on the open beach area and keep what they find, but always be mindful that fossils help tell the story of the past. So be sure to leave a piece of the story for other visitors. Because of the constant erosion of the cliffs, access to the cliffs is PROHIBITED.

http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/southern/calvertcliffs.asp

There does appear to be a road leading close to the shore just North of the cliffs themselves, but no idea if it is public.

Google Maps

Yeah, I spoke to Ron the night before last about it and had also mentioned the pier. I was at Calvert this past weekend...zero vis conditions. The dogs had a good time swimming...lol.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom