Some Images From One Of Our OW Cert Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually start my mask clearing looking down, otherwise water gets in my nose. And not just a little bit, a lot (Hey, I have a big nose!). It's not that I mind water in my nose, but enough gets in there to cause some kind of reflex that closes my throat. I never had that problem in the pool, so it's either a) worse with saltwater, b) worse with 50 degree water, or c) who cares :).

SparticleBrane:
Who said they are issues?
That was you.
SparticleBrane:
Do that at the start of every dive and you won't have issues with maskless work at all...
SparticleBrane:
She looks very uncomfortable without the mask on.
SparticleBrane:
Is this how you were taught to clear your mask? To hold your head down and press on to top?

scubatoys:
Wow... this is even better... so by looking at 2 snap shots, 2 fragments of time throughout an entire course, someone can make a judgment call on the ability of the instructor. You've got to share the secret on how that is done! I'm a course director, and I have to go through all the effort of watching them teach and see their skills in the water. You could save me a bunch of time!
I dont believe I made a judgment call. I asked if the instructor took them cave diving.

SparticleBrane:
Basically the idea is that before you start a dive, you toss your head in the water with no mask and breathe through a reg until you can do it eyes open with a normal breathing cycle, feeling completely comfortable and relaxed. Do that at the start of every dive and you won't have issues with maskless work at all...

100% agree. I started doing this before cold-water dives and it really helps. Don't know why I hadn't thought of doing this before. Good advice.

jviehe:
I dont believe I made a judgment call. I asked if the instructor took them cave diving.

Tell you what... this thread has gone way off course. It was simply a post by a few students that were excited that they got certified, and they wanted to share that excitement and enjoyment of diving with some photo's of their first diving experiences. They then basically got blasted (you may want to call it questioned... but it seemed like blasting to me) for not looking comfortable, doing skills wrong, having bad instructors, breaking standards... you name it.

What da' heck is wrong with "Congrats! Welcome to the world of diving! I'm sure you'll enjoy it." Why do so many people want to become monday morning quarterbacks and get into their skills and abilities.

I don't believe I saw them post, "I had a problem with mask clearing, can anyone help?" or "I'm nervous with my mask off, how can I over come that..." It was simply - Here we are - the newest divers on this board.

So just congratulate them on their accomplishment and move on.

I hate to say, it's threads that deteriorate like this that made me start my own board so I can hit the delete key. Post criticisms when warranted or asked for - leave new divers to learn and enjoy this sport.

fisherdvm:
Where are the snorkels? You are going to die if you don't wear snorkels!!!

Not enough color coordination. How dare you take scuba without brighly colored gears and wetsuit.

Shame on you. Why don't you just join the DIR forum and leave us alone!!

Don't you realize they're all too good to wear snorkles....btw, one saved my life( I believe) 115 miles offshore in the Gulf of Mexico 7/19/07 while diving an oilrig......

To scubatoys..." What da' heck is wrong with "Congrats! Welcome to the world of diving! I'm sure you'll enjoy it." Why do so many people want to become monday morning quarterbacks and get into their skills and abilities."......

Maybe it's to comment on the crappy instructing some people are getting these days.....BTW, be sure & give me your website address so I'll be sure & not go there......thanks......

Cool pics, I just did a discover scuba event and I'm looking forward to start my OW cert classes sometime soon. Looks like y'all having fun, I'm jealous! :)

diver 85:
To scubatoys..." What da' heck is wrong with "Congrats! Welcome to the world of diving! I'm sure you'll enjoy it." Why do so many people want to become monday morning quarterbacks and get into their skills and abilities."......

Maybe it's to comment on the crappy instructing some people are getting these days.....BTW, be sure & give me website address so I'll be sure & not go there......thanks......

And maybe there are some crappy instructors - but trying to judge that from a few newly open water divers sharing their open water experience is not possible. I wish all instructors were better... but that happens in the water - not in a photo or on a board.

And it's http://www.scubatoys.com since you asked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom