Some kind of jellyfish? Or part of one, maybe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kauai

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what this is. Is it some kind of jellyfish, or part of one? There were tons of these that suddenly started washing up on the beach in Fort Myers Beach, Florida recently.

DSC_0642.jpg

Looks like a Jelly to me. Stay away because contact with it can still cause stings.

I've seen similar elsewhere (but they are very widespread) and they are typically moonbeam jellyfish. Harmless.

Most likely one of the many types of Ctenophore that frequents Florida waters this time of year. Sometimes they wash ashore by the zillions.
:)
Rick

I've seen similar elsewhere (but they are very widespread) and they are typically moonbeam jellyfish. Harmless.

Freeze 43, you are speaking of Moon Jellies (no beam). They are worldwide, common in Florida, the Bahamas and the Caribbean. They are mildly toxic and cause a slight itchy rash in sensitive people, much less so than other species.

Scuba_Noob, I think they would be very tasty for turtles. I, however, would not want to eat one. Don't know if they are palatable or edible for people.

Freeze 43, you are speaking of Moon Jellies (no beam). They are worldwide, common in Florida, the Bahamas and the Caribbean. They are mildly toxic and cause a slight itchy rash in sensitive people, much less so than other species.

Scuba_Noob, I think they would be very tasty for turtles. I, however, would not want to eat one. Don't know if they are palatable or edible for people.

You're absolutely right.

I have heard that they are eaten occasionally but pretty bleah as far as taste and nutrition goes. You can also get them in awesome aquariums: New England Aquarium Jellyfish - YouTube

ARGH they can be trash!!! The picturesque "romantic walk on the beach" turns into an opportunity to win $10,000 from AFV with the unsuspecting attempting not to step on one at the last minute. We have tons o' them seasonally here in PCB. Man o' Wars from time to time too. Yes, good turtle food.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom