Some questions about hull cleaning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Bud

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello everyone,

So like many I have been putting some thought into a small hull cleaning business in my area (Montreal, Quebec). Please note that all the boats and locations I am dealing with would be in freshwater, the St-Lawrence river to be more specific. Now my questions are as follows:

1. Electrocution in the water. I understand in fresh water marinas this is a potential danger due to the salinity of my body being greater than the water and the current wanting to pass through me. How would I go about assuring that this will not happen? What power needs to be turned off either at the marina or on the boat or both? What can I do to test the surrounding water?

2. General marine liability insurance. I understand in the U.S. this is needed to operate this kind of business, does anyone know what the laws are for this kind of thing in Canada? If yes does anyone know what company would offer this and the pricing?

3. Water pollution. Does anyone know if hull cleaning is allowed in Quebec, in the St-lawrence? Any government regulations I should know about?

4. Competition. Anyone know of any businesses that do this in the Montreal area? I can't seem to find any and I see a lot of dirty boats...

As far as the techniques and tools I can figure it out and read the other threads. I will probably use a tank on the dock or just have the tank on my back.

Any other advice/tips for a newcomer to the business would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

I can't speak about your particular region, but in California, very little (almost none, really) in-water hull cleaning ocurrs in fresh (or even brackish) water. The fact that you are unable to find anybody already in business doing hull cleaning in Montreal speaks volumes.

Why is that? Is it due to the electrocution risk?

There is no access to salt water where I live.

I went by the marina today and most of the boats were very green/dirty at and below the water line, is that not reason enough to offer a hull cleaning service?

4dawgma do you have some experience hull cleaning in fresh water?

I beg to differ sir...
Well, then what you experience is different than California. And again, if boats needed hull cleaning where the OP lives, there would be somebody providing that service already. So either there isn't a need for hull cleaning there or the OP hasn't tried very hard to find existing dive services.

I have yet to find anyone providing this service and I think it may have to due to the short boating season we have. People generally put the boats in the water around may/june and take them out in september/october. Maybe the boats around here aren't in the water long enough to require a hull cleaning, people can just clean them at start and end of season on the ground.

If you have a marina full of folks that live on houseboats, they don't come with trailers. Some of those boats haven't been out of the water in decades though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom