Some thougths on the RX100 - File Formats

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'm in...just need to get my housing :wink:. been taking a bunch of land shots in various modes, ISOs, etc. so far, the camera has been pretty nice...

I'm pretty certain a RX100 and Nauticam housing is my next camera. Won't need until Summer 2013, but I plan to get the camera itself a lot sooner to get some time using it. Will be used w/two Inon strobes and Inon macro wet lens or maybe two.

I'm looking forward to following your blog.

Thanks,

I have been following your Blog Interceptor, excellent, actually have sent the link to several RX100 buyers. I just bought the camera for myself. Nauticam housing, 2xS&S YSD1, Inon H100 WA+Dome, Subsee +10 Diopter. Can't wait to get it out in Fiji Next week! I am going from a full Nikon D7000 kit so really interested to see how this compares. Now the only question is how will it work with the pair of Light&Motion Sola 4000s from the old system. Going to try shooting stills with them.

Again thanks for the blog. Did you note Time Magazine named the RX100 as one of the "Inventions of the Year"

I have been following your Blog Interceptor, excellent, actually have sent the link to several RX100 buyers. I just bought the camera for myself. Nauticam housing, 2xS&S YSD1, Inon H100 WA+Dome, Subsee +10 Diopter. Can't wait to get it out in Fiji Next week! I am going from a full Nikon D7000 kit so really interested to see how this compares. Now the only question is how will it work with the pair of Light&Motion Sola 4000s from the old system. Going to try shooting stills with them.

Again thanks for the blog. Did you note Time Magazine named the RX100 as one of the "Inventions of the Year"

Mjh I wasn't aware of the nomination
I have had some feedback from Sony re firmware update and custom white balance
I appreciate the referrals for what concerns your sola they will work marvel in video mode however for still pictures there is a limit around 1/125 shutter speed and then the picture start to blur
To freeze the moment you need strobes
Your set up looks impressive
What arm and trays have you got?

While the Sola 4000s are great I did try shooting stills, in the tropics, with the old Nikon D7000 system. Personally I did not find the photos met the standards I can achieve with strobes. This experiment with the RX100 will be with higher ISOs, say 800 or more, higher shutter speeds and then see what the results are. Alex from our shop is going out with a Video light MFG with a 16,000 lumen light to see how it does with still photography. Many people who come in are looking for the one light that can do it all. But I am no where near ready to give up my S&S D1s.

Like many I have a slew of mismatched strobe arms and clamps, very hillbilly. But I fall in the camp of those that like to reduce backscatter via long sets of arms. Typically for general shooting to wide I go with two 9" arms per side, even longer if I know I am shooting really wide. I like to have several "sections" as I want to experiment with the way I position strobes to get different affects.

For my tray....Clearly a big supporter of Nauticam and their tray for the RX100 is good. But I am hard on gear, not to delicate, lots of shore diving and like very robust trays. I am going with the following: Trays, Arms & Mounts :: Trays :: Modular Tray and Handles - I like the drop down on the right side when shooting without gloves, hand on cameras itself, very comfortable position. When I shoot cold water with heavy gloves I can take the "drop" out, hold the handle and again very comfortable.

hey mjh, i was thinking about going with this tray & arm set & the Inon strobe adapters for the NA-RX100 ... Will be using Inon z-240 strobes.

Thoughts?

That is the tray I still may go with, there is plenty of room to position the housing how you like. One note with the Nauticam RX100 Housing and trays in general....The tray needs to be perfectly flat! The tray can't have a rear lip/stop or you will not be able to open or close the housing. With the IDAS TR-L tray the great thing is you just flip it over and the other side is flat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom