Someone has been feeding this nurse shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did you forget where you are? Give in to the urge, embrace the dark side! This is the internet; the rules of civilized behavior don't apply here!
Tell that to the moderators

(hi MMM :wink:)

Click on the vimeo link to watch in HD

[vimeo]40048790[/vimeo]

:argument:

Nothing more to say here, I think.

Happy diving everyone!

I have been with a DM who fed the nurse shark. While it was fascinating, I too, believe that humans should not feed wildlife. Several months later I had a newish diver approached by probably the same shark and he was a bit uncomfortable with the experience. Would hate to see the shark attack someone and then have the shark killed because of unethical practices of some dive professionals.

What a cool video to shoot!

Groupers must have let it slip about the lionfish snacks.

PH

Yeah..i had a green eel nibble on my gopro /pole...but I also hope they learn to like lionfish.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PLEASE!! You do realize they are eating a dead lionfish, right? It is called opportunistic feeding. They are not pairing up to ambush live lionfish. Many fish would do the same thing with a piece of bread or a hotdog or a dead barracuda, but that doesn't mean they are going to start hunting barracuda or shopping at the megamarket....:shakehead:

What they are capable of doing is associating divers with food. At least snapper and grouper are not going to send someone to the hospital but there is no good reason whatsoever to feed lionfish to any other sea life.

Just look at all the "teaching _______ to hunt" videos out there. Almost all consist of someone feeding a dead fish to a grouper or eel or whatever. How many times have you seen a live and uncaptured lionfish being eaten?

This : Spotted Moray Eel Eating Lionfish - YouTube is what passes for teaching eels to hunt, and this:

Moray eel bites man in face - YouTube

Cayman Island's Lion Fish hunting with Moray Eel - YouTube

is what we are actually "teaching" them to do. It is no different with the sharks.

Dear jd950,

How many predation videos have you seen? My guess is none, because it is very rare.

Your idea that feeding lion fish to upper level predators is all wet, is in my opinion very wrong. Yes, I am STRONGLY against feeding sharks, indeed very much against feeding groupers and eels which we did in the Park through the nineties (got scars to prove it) but introducing the delectable morsels of lion fish to the predators we have is in MHO a no brainer.

Although I'd rather eat them, getting the predators used to them makes more sense than most of the stuff I see on this forum.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PLEASE!! You do realize they are eating a dead lionfish, right? It is called opportunistic feeding. They are not pairing up to ambush live lionfish. Many fish would do the same thing with a piece of bread or a hotdog or a dead barracuda, but that doesn't mean they are going to start hunting barracuda or shopping at the megamarket....:shakehead:

What they are capable of doing is associating divers with food. At least snapper and grouper are not going to send someone to the hospital but there is no good reason whatsoever to feed lionfish to any other sea life.

Just look at all the "teaching _______ to hunt" videos out there. Almost all consist of someone feeding a dead fish to a grouper or eel or whatever. How many times have you seen a live and uncaptured lionfish being eaten?

This : Spotted Moray Eel Eating Lionfish - YouTube is what passes for teaching eels to hunt, and this:

Moray eel bites man in face - YouTube

Cayman Island's Lion Fish hunting with Moray Eel - YouTube

is what we are actually "teaching" them to do. It is no different with the sharks.
A few times. They are learning to hunt them.

[video=youtube;o8lVcV0h-og]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8lVcV0h-og[/video]

Back
Top Bottom