Someone with DMW-MCZX1 housing - mounting options?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking at this housing...

What does the bottom of the housing look like? I'm pretty invested in Ike's tray / arm / ball setup. Does this have screw mounts on the bottom of the housing?

Any chance someone could snap a pick and post as a reply of the bottom of the housing?

Thanks in advance

Here's good photo of the housing at Inon's home page. It's in Japanese, but you're just looking at the picture. What I am seeing is the housing has a typical single hole tripod mount. In the US this would be a 1/4 20 screw thread.

http://www.inon.co.jp/cgis/news/img/M67_LensAdapterBase_MCTZ10.jpg

Now you could make a dual hole bar with a 1/4 20 bolt in the middle to adapt your housing to the Ikelite tray. Use a piece of 1" square aluminum stock, available at hardware and home center stores. Drill 5/16' (I think, but measure it) holes for the Ike tray bolts in the bottom face of the aluminum. Then drill a 7/8" dia. hole above those holes so you can fit a socket wrench through to fasten the aluminum piece to the Ike tray. At the center of the aluminum piece cut a notch out of the bottom, and drill a 1/4" dia. hole for the housing's tripod socket through the top face. You can torque a wing nut onto a 1/4 20 bolt to make an attachment screw for the housing.

Be very careful of how deep you run that bolt into the housing. If you go all the way into the socket and then tighten further, you could fracture the top of the screw socket. You will need to trim the bolt and perhaps use a spacer or washers to get the right length. You would also need some spacers or blocks to support and position the housing on the aluminum adapter.

I have attached a photo of a tray I made for an Olympus housing, but this should give you the idea.

Attachments

• DSC06320.jpg
    DSC06320.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 121
They should all be 1/4" screws, I've never heard of Japanese housings using a different size, its' pretty standard across the industry.

If you are concerned about fracturing the base you should always use some washers. Typically the base of the screw is about 1/4" long at the most. Since you customized yours you definitely have to be careful about over tightening the screw. However, most bases are aluminum or stainless steel so you won't have to worry about that.

Back
Top Bottom