Something inside my tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfoster33702

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an AL80, which JUST got hyrdo'd and vis'd. I used it one time after that and then noticed that something is floating around inside the tank - sounds like a piece of metal. Any ideas? I will eventually get it back to the shop where the H and V was performed, but they are pretty far away.

Jeff

drain the gas out, and take the valve off, and find out for yourself.

Doesn't that obligate me to some other service work? My local LDS charges a mandatory vis on tanks with 0 psi on fill.

jfoster33702:
Doesn't that obligate me to some other service work? My local LDS charges a mandatory vis on tanks with 0 psi on fill.
Tell them what happened... If there's something in there, and they did the VIP, then they sound like a shop that you can do without.

If they're only air tanks... there's no problem removing and putting the valve on. You just need a large wrench. Be careful with the o-ring on the valve stem.

It sounds like the dip tube got loose. It's essentially a straw that prevents you from sucking water, if there is any in the tank and you are inverted.

If it's just the dip tube and not a wrench left in there, it should be pretty simple to get it all back together. The tank will need to be drained before it can be opened to find the rattle.

howarde:
drain the gas out, and take the valve off, and find out for yourself.

Whooa, if you drain the tank quickly, it will cool down and collect condensation on the inside when you open it. It's better to either let it drain slowly, or drain it most of the way, maybe 100 psi, then let it rewarm to ambient before draining completely.

I would suggest going to an LDS, even if it's not the one that did the hydro and VIP, although it might cost you the price of an airfill.

do it easy:
Whooa, if you drain the tank quickly, it will cool down and collect condensation on the inside when you open it. It's better to either let it drain slowly, or drain it most of the way, maybe 100 psi, then let it rewarm to ambient before draining completely.

I would suggest going to an LDS, even if it's not the one that did the hydro and VIP, although it might cost you the price of an airfill.
Whooa... I shouldn't assume that people know how to drain a tank. I didn't say "open the valve to full, and blast all of the air out of it."

Take it easy - Do it easy :wink: - It's a tank with a valve... You slowly bleed the air and then you get a big wrench.

It's a "snorkel" or sometimes called a dip tube from the valve. Take it back to the LDS you had it serviced at and let them drain it and solve the issue. They could have ratched it down a bit better or if it's not an O2 cleaned tank add a little silicone to it when they crew it in and it will stay tight. I bet they do it for free and give you a tank of air to boot. It's normal ( although doesn't happen very often) and nothing to be concerned about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom