Somewhere Between Freediving and Snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For weighting, it depends on how deep you are diving. I like to be neutral at the depth I'm spending most time. Otherwise I can't "hang out" without kicking down or exhaling, very frustrating when I'm taking pictures.

Remember, change in lung volume and wetsuit compression can make dramatic diffences in boyancy at depth. If you overweight it can make for a very strenuous trip to the surface from depth.

Gryz:
How about somewhere warm, say Mexico....

Do you weight yourself like you would if you were diving?

Technically no. However in my case with my steel cylinders the lead I wear for skin and scuba in a given exposure suit and in the same (salt or fresh) water is the same. If you are diving aluminum 80's my experience suggests trying 8 pounds less lead than your correct scuba weight. This is just a estimate.

It's advisable to go in a few pounds lighter until you get a feel for it. Dive down with what you have and try coming back up with various rocks in your hands. If you still ascend safely add more weight next time. If you are not ascending drop the rocks!

Pete

I have been practicing holding my breath, both inhale and exhale and keeping a record of it. Each time it gets a little bit better. I have noticed that when I keep myself occupied by reading text that there is a significant increase. I just wonder how I will distract myself while being underwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom