Sonora and Baja

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saskatchewan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am driving south to Mexico, from Vancouver, to do some diving in December and I am still debating where I should go. The south tip of Baja is a really long trip, so, I am looking to places north of there to go diving. Are there any suggestions for Northern Baja and Sonora?

Thanks

I just got back from a week in Los Cabos (flew from Vancouver) and split my time between Cabo Pulmo and Cabo San Lucas. Did 11 amazing dives and water temps were 84 to 86 F. Great visibility and tons of schooling fish especially at Cabo Pulmo. I spoke with a few people at the resort who had done dives further north in La Paz and Loreto earlier in the week and they had excellent dives as well that were comparable to Los Cabos or better. If you're going that far you might want to check some of these out if diving is your priority.

Check out San Carlos MX 400 km south of Nogales in Sonora good diving check out Garys dive shop or the Ocean Spirit boat both in San Carlos both good ops. Desert divers is affiliated with the Ocean Spirit and run caravans down to San Carlos every other weekend in the summer not sure about the winter.

[url]http://www.garysdiveshop.com/intro.htm

[/URL]
Ocean Sports San Carlos | Desert Divers

If you drive down the Sonoran side the first place to dive is Rocky Point - Rocky Point Scuba Diving | Certification and Dive Trips. Lea works with the only shop there that provides fills etc. - IDK the name. You'll see several others in Google but they're all closed. There is another thread about it here with the name/contact info for the new shop also - just opened this year.

As Warren mentioned San Carlos is next - sancarlos.com. Besides the two he mentioned, El Mar Diving keeps a boat there. El Mar and Desert Divers will both do trips down every couple of weeks thru the winter and they both do a 3-day New Years trip. Other times you might find it difficult to find enough divers to fill the boat on a weekday charter. Most go to San Pedro Island so there's gas/time involved. Fun sea lion rookery out there if you can get there. It's also going to be in the high 60's due to the tidal exchange so don't think you're diving in the tropics..LOL. San Carlos Dive Boats, Scuba Charter, San Carlos Mexico, Sea Of Cortez One nice thing about that drive is that the highway is a major run for the maquiladoras operating out of Guaymas so it's kept up and patrolled. Also a small toll to help pay for that. I've heard of 2-3 shore dives but haven't done any of them.

I know there's at least one shop in Mazatlan also. I don't think the diving is very good there. And maybe 7-8 in Puerto Vallerta further down. My friend owns a shop in Manzanillo even further down - Scuba Shack but conditions there tend to be murkier. Also they took the main impact of the Hurricane earlier this week so I don't know how that affects the town. Although I think there is a commercial port nearby so there may be some impetus to get it restored faster. Scuba Diving And Snorkeling In Manzanillo, Mexico

Back
Top Bottom