Sony 50mm f/1.8 Lens E-Mount?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hetland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone tried one of these out for macro shots? Are there ports available?

I'm currently leaning in the NEX direction, but the macro options look limited. I'm assuming a 50mm fast prime with a screw-on wet lens would remove most of my apprehension on the subject, but I'm curious to see real-world results.

I don't see a port for it on the Nauticam port chart. You could go with the Sony SEL30M35 30mm Macro Lens & Nauticam Macro Port 45 (#36135). I think it'll focus really close, like 1" at 1:1.

James is wrong, this is not a macro lens not even close. Minimum focus distance on this lens is over 15 inches, no where near 1:1. The only lens for NEX that can get to 1:1 is the 30mm and it is quite useless that close to the subject. A $1200.00 or so 50 ziess macro is rumored to be coming in the next few months and it may be a 1:2 macro. At 1:1 a 50 macro would be about 5-6 inches from the subject.

Phil Rudin

My bad, the lens in question Sony 50mm f1.8 is in no way a macro lens and the 30mm which I owned with the macro 45 port does not work very well at 1:1 because it focuses to close to the subject at life size.

My bad, the lens in question Sony 50mm f1.8 is in no way a macro lens and the 30mm which I owned with the macro 45 port does not work very well at 1:1 because it focuses to close to the subject at life size.

1. What was the 1:1 focus distance on the 30mm macro?
  2. Aside from the distance limitation, was it a good lens? Were you able to get sharp shots out of it?

At 1:1 very close, less than two inches. So close that you can't use a SubSee +10 closeup lens.

For a $200.00 lens very good, compare to a quality macro lens not the same quality at all.

Phil Rudin

At 1:1 very close, less than two inches. So close that you can't use a SubSee +10 closeup lens.

For a $200.00 lens very good, compare to a quality macro lens not the same quality at all.

Phil Rudin

Thanks, I could work with something in the 6" range but 2" is too close to be practical.

Thanks again.

Phil Rudin

Hey Phil,

what if you put the 50 1.8 in the with the 45 port and the new Nauticam extender. If you add the SubSee +10 to that how do you think that would work? Could it get you to 1:1 or better? What if I added the kenko extension rings as well?

Nauticam Mini Extension Ring 30mm for Nauticam Mini Ports [nau.36630] - $200.00 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Amazon.com: Kenko Macro Automatic Extension Tube Set DG for Sony NEX E-Mount: KENKO: Camera & Photo

Thoughts?
thanks!
Dave

50mm lens by the OP is a portrait lens not a macro. I am waiting for the Zeis 50mm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom