Sony A7 III MWL-1 setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

unregistered19

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, there's not much information posted about the Nauticam MWL-1 at all. After putting this setup together December 2019 and getting ready for a bunch of trips in 2020... it unfortunately took until 2023 before I got to really try it out. Hopefully this shows the capabilities of this setup.

Using a Sony A7 III housed in a Nauticam housing. Converter to a Nikon 60mm Macro lens, and a Nauticam MWL-1. These were all shot in Cozumel, with one camera set up (MWL-1 on a flip up). I did have a CMC-1 on the other flip up, but didn't really see too much that called for its usage unfortunately.

wce2zX2.jpg

AUJWQfU.jpg
\

LRKnJC5.jpg

O6iGzrv.jpg

oyqxVj4.jpg

5AuwME4.jpg

wQ1oIdb.jpg

Thank you for sharing. I am considering buying the MWL-1 myself to use with my M43 OLY 12-50mm and 30mm macro lenses.

Questions please:

1. How do you find the quality and sharpness of the pictures using the MWL-1 in general?

2. Do you have to only use f16 and above or were you able to use lower f-stop (bigger aperture) without issues?

3. How was the corner sharpness?

4. Did this lens make your kit too heavy or/and unwieldy u/w?

5. Is there a buoyancy collar for it and did it help with buoyancy and stability u/w?

(Sorry for the long list of questions but these are the questions I am trying to find answers for before I make the investment).

I didn't know you could use Nikon lenses on Sony cameras with an adapter. Does this work for the 105mm as well? Are there any disadvantages?

I didn't know you could use Nikon lenses on Sony cameras with an adapter. Does this work for the 105mm as well? Are there any disadvantages?
There are several companies making adapters to use Nikon (or Canon) lenses on the SONY E mount. Just search on B and H or another site for a list. My own experience shooting Canon lenses on SONY is that image quality can be super, but AF is slower than with native SONY glass. One other concern is fitting the adapted lens into your underwater housing and ports.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom